Quick swap of bucket top -- chance of oxidization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this past weekend I went up to an all-dude cabin closing in Wisconsin (three days of fun for the price of taking a couple of docks out) and I brewed an IPA for distribution to the crew in a couple of months. Here is the situation I ran into -- wondering what to expect in the way of oxidization or other issues due to the travel. Feedback is much appreciated!

• Brewed late Saturday and pitched yeast (decent starter)
  • Temps were good, around 60 degrees into the next day
  • Strapped the bucket in and drove 5.5 hours back to Chicago
  • Fermentation was going as of Sunday morning -- drove back around 2 PM
  • Airlock was clogged and the lid was starting to dome when I pulled into the garage
  • Got the bucket into the basement, sanitized a lid with a blowoff tube, and swapped it on to replace the airlock lid

I realized from the start that the transport could cause issues, but I'm hoping that since I drove back when fermentation was starting that the batch should come out OK. I didn't expect to have to switch to a blowoff tube though, and I'm wondering if letting in oxygen like that (a very quick swap) could cause problems. Or would the active fermentation push the oxygen out quickly?

Graham

None of what you described will cause any problems.

I get extra paranoid when I know I'm brewing for other people too ;)

You'll be fine. IMO oxidation risks are overstated, especially during an active ferment like you describe. You need to mess up pretty good to oxidize a batch of beer.

In hindsight your best bet would have been to transport the wort then pitch the yeast. But, there is nothing that causes any concern here, IMO.

I can't see alot of them still around but 'open fermentations' using giant vats of beer exist commercially .... real easy to top crop. I'd imagine if they were just bottling wet cardboard soup, the practice would be dead.

Back