Quick star san question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
I have always mixed up a nice big batch of star san and kept it around for a little while, as long as the PH stays in the acceptable range. It usually clears up pretty well soon after being mixed.

Recently, our water softener ran out of salt and we didn't notice. I made 15 gallons of star san solution and it is still very cloudy. When I emptied one of the 5 gallon buckets it was in, there was a thin layer of white sludge on the bottom of the bucket. This does not sound very star san like to me, at least with my experience with it.

Should I just dump the lot and mix up some more since our water is now "back to normal"?

I've never seen the sludge you are talking about myself.
To me, since you are not talking about much money, why wouldn't you mix a new batch.
It's going to make you feel better about using it.

I figured so much but just wanted to ask before I waste $1.50 worth of starsan lol

I've seen the sludge you are talking about and it does come from using hard water. It doesn't matter as long as the Ph is in the correct range but I usually mix a new batch anyways.

My Ph tester went on the fritz so I tossed it, since it was only $20 and had been used for awhile (the reviews said it would eventually go to crap) I am going to mix more up because the sludge is gross.

Back