Quick Sour Not Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsForDays

Reaction score
I have made 6-7 quick sours in the past couple of years. Each time I have used the SourBeerBlog's method of boiling for 10-15 min - cooling down to and holding at 100ish into a glass carboy with a air lock and pitching some acid and then goodbelly for 2-3 days depending on PH. The first few came out really good and the past couple did not, so I decided to try something new.

I made a simple wort, cooled to 100 into a keg (figured i could blow off the oxygen and make a cleaner beer). I also pitched the yeast bay's lactobacillus brevis TYB282. I held between 100-105 for a day and took a sample, and again after 48 hours, then again on day three. THe Ph had hardly dropped.

Anyone know if this was due to me taking samples from the bottom of the keg (maybe pulling off the bugs in the process) or if lacto can not do its work under pressure (it created a lot of pressure that I would release every time I thought to do so)?

I ended up pitching goodbelly on it and it has been dropping slowly. I have come to the conclusion that his will be a dump (I actually took it off heat for a week) it has been about 2 weeks and I put the heat back on it tonight just to see if I could make anything out of it.

TIA for any wisdom.

100F might be a bit high.

I'd recommend following manfufacturer recommendations for products like TYB282 (they recommend holding in the mid-to-high 70s and have tested above 90F)
For probiotics you need to look at the particular species. For L. plantarum in GoodBelly, upper 70s would be great for it as well. 100F is probably too warm. It becomes almost fully inhibited above 105.

Your wort has no hops while souring?
How low do you drop pH before pitching the Lacto?
Have you considered making a starter?

Back