Quick Sherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoadsrage

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying, I'm not a wine maker but a beer brewer for the most part. I have had Tio Pepe sherry several times and it is way to harsh for me to drink. The first batch of this sherry, I brewed 10 years ago and I'm on the last 1/2 bottle. I thought I would post the recipe since I dug it out to brew again soon. I will post pictures when I brew the next batch.

I got this recipe years ago from a home brewing social network and have been drinking it ever since. sorry I don't remember who posted it or where I found it. But here goes.

The Recipe:
I put this in a plastic fermenter for more oxidation over the duration of the fermentation.
Day 1:
Take 3 gallons of filtered water and boil for 15 min., cool then add 10 lbs raisins, 3lbs chopped dates, 1 lb figs cut in half and yeast ( I used Red Star Cote de Blanc which clams to be a every sweet wine and maxing out at 13 % ABV)

Day 2: Add 4.5 lbs more raisins to the brew
Day 14: Boil 1 gallon of filtered water. cool then add to mix along with 5.5 more lbs. of raisins.
Day 60: transfer to secondary with racking cane then dumping fruit into strainer but don't squeeze the fruit.
Day 152: Take FG as 1:010. Corked in glass bottles and let chill in basement.

This sherry has a nice soft alcohol heat with some good nutty and sweetness with flavors of raisins, figs and dates all blended together. I think I will add some oak to the secondary for the next run.

I have the second batch ready to bottle this week. I put it on 2 oz. of medium toasted oak cubes. The primary fermentor was a 7 gal. plastic bucket and this time it only yielded about 3.5 gallons. I thought it made more last time but I can't remember. This time I used some old raisins so perhaps they were dried out and absorbed more of the liquid?

Sherry de Pasac (new fancy name for quick sherry)

This batch was aged on 2 oz. of medium toasted french oak cubes for 4 months.

Appearance- This sherry pours a slightly hazy garnet body with long legs as it swirls. It has only been in the bottle for 1 week so it should clear as time goes on.

Aroma- The soft bright dried fruit note has hints of figs and a soft vanilla oak note in the finish. There are also notes of raisins and dates blended in with the figs but they are more subtle.

Taste- Light alcohol bite leads to a soft raisin fruity note with a soft dry dried fruit note in the finish.

Mouthfeel- This sherry has a very light mouthfeel with a soft alcohol heat that is not fusel.

Overall impression- This batch is much drier and higher attenuated than the first batch so it taste much cleaner, more alcohol and less fruit qualities but it is still nice as an apéritif.

Bringing this recipe back to life. I plan to make this for my mother for her birthday this year. She isn't really a beer drinker, but loves a good sherry. She also loves blueberries.

As such, I was going to try to make this recipe as a Blueberry Sherry.

My thoughts were
Day 1: Take 3 gallons of filtered water and boil for 15 min., cool then add 7 lbs raisins, 3 lbs frozen blueberries, 3lbs chopped dates, 1 lb figs cut in half and yeast ( I used Red Star Cote de Blanc which clams to be a every sweet wine and maxing out at 13 % ABV)

Day 2: Add 2 lbs more raisins and 2 lbs frozen blueberries to the brew
Day 14: Boil 1 gallon of filtered water. cool then add to mix along with 3 more lbs. of raisins and 3lbs frozen blueberries.
Day 60: transfer to secondary with racking cane then dumping fruit into strainer but don't squeeze the fruit. Add 2 oz medium toasted french oak cubes.
Day 152: Take FG as 1:010. Corked in glass bottles and let chill in basement.

Basically just dropping the raisins and replacing with blueberries in most additions. Anyone have thoughts on this recipe? I will be adding the oak cubes to the secondary also.

Sounds good. You could always back sweeten if it gets to dry but I think the other flavors are mellow enough to really compliment the blueberries.

Im so happy to find this recipe again. I made it 20 years ago when we were living in Saudi Arabia where there is no alcohol. It was so good, and I timed it to be ready for Christmas. Perfect.

Back