Quick Recipe Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to building recipes, just wanted to run this IPA by the audience for suggestions. Hop schedule make sense? Grain bill sensible? Too much going on with the hops in contrast to the grain bill? Maybe add a little oats? I don't know, y'all tell me what you think. That's the point of this right?

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 78.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
BIAB, Mash @ 150

Ingredients:
------------
11lbs 2 Row
1.5lbs Munich
1lbs Vienna
.5lbs C20

1oz Nugget (13% AA) @ 60

1oz Mosaic (12.25% AA) @ 5
.5oz Citra (25.20% AA) @5

1.0oz Mosaic (12.25% AA) @ 15min Hopstand @180deg
.5oz Centennial (10% AA) @ 15min Hopstand @ 180deg
.5oz Citra (25.20% AA) @ 15min Hopstand @ 180deg

3 day Dry hop with

1oz Mosaic (12.25% AA) @ 5
.5oz Citra (25.20% AA) @5

Thanks y'all, I look forward to hearing from you!

WilfredBrimley

Looks good to me. IBU's seem a touch high for a 1.063 IPA. If it were me, Id drop them down to ~60-65 (BJCP for IPA puts IBU's between 40-70). But other than that, looks pretty rockin. I do a pale ale with a pretty similar grain bill and I love it.

Thanks kev211. I'll reduce the nugget bittering addition a bit and get that down.

Snowtiger1987. I actually took out the vienna and replaced it with a small amount of honey malt.

Take out the Vienna and add carapils. Increase the dry hopping which will round off the malty backbone.

Or if you wanna add some bisquity/breadyness to it, swap the vienna for victory. Victory and munich are a fantastic combo

OK...thanks for the suggestions y'all. Took some of your suggestions and I did a bunch of research on a few of these grains and I made a more educated decision. Decided to go with 3.5% C20, 14.5% Munich and 82% 2 row. Should be a good start!

Back