Quick question on carbonation of ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtuna1

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm about to brew my first real batch of ginger beer.

My plan is to let it ferment all the way out, so I'll get a very dry and alcoholic ginger beer and then I will sweeten it with stevia.

However, I would also like some carbonation. So is it correct that I can drop a carbonation tab in each bottle and that will make it perfectly carbonated? So I don't have to worry about glass exploding and stuff?

However, I would also like some carbonation. So is it correct that I can drop a carbonation tab in each bottle and that will make it perfectly carbonated?

Assuming the amount of sugar in a carbonation drop is the right amount of sugar to produce the carbonation you're looking for, then yes, it will be perfectly carbonated.

But you might want to think about how many volumes of CO2 you want and consult one of the many online carbonation/priming calculators.

Thanks mate. I'm going to use the carbonation drops, which say 1 for 330ml and 2 for 500ml.

I have just brewed a ginger beer using grain- I carbonated each bottle with 5g table sugar. I opted to do each bottle separately so I could see which gave me the best carbonation. I have found generally that turning the bottle over about 10 times (gently) every day for about 3 days gives me the best fizz. Though one time I took the carbonated bottle that I refridgerated for 2 days out of the fridge. I turned it over and over about 10 times, then popped the cap and it went all over the kitchen. Bad Idea. Though I havent come across any suggestions in these forums about turning bottles to aid carbonation.

Though I havent come across any suggestions in these forums about turning bottles to aid carbonation.

The amount of CO2 you end up with depends on the amount of sugar. Turning bottles won't change that, though as you found out, agitating the carbonated beer does expedite release of CO2 when opening the bottle.

Back