Quick question about cold weather brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpferris

Reaction score
I am brewing tomorrow here in nothern indiana where the temps are currently in the teens with windchills around zero.

I heat my strike/sparge water and conduct my boil on a propane burner in my garage with the two doors half way open for cross ventilation.

Obviously for heating strike/sparge water there's no reason not to used a lid to help expedite the heating process.

However for the boil, I know you should do that uncovered. My issue is that given these temps, it has actually taken a while to get the wort to a boil.

Is it acceptable to cover the wort with a lit to expedite getting to the boil, then removing it once boil is achieved?

I am worried about excessive water loss due to addition heating/boil time due to the extreme temps.

Thanks,
Chad

You can cover if you want to. I live in Wyoming and brew outside all winter long. I do both. Don't worry about water loss. If you lose more than expected just add a little water towards the end of the boil to bring it back up. Have fun.

Yep I too am in colder than normal, let the lid on till it gets boiling then remove

Dimethyl sulphide (DMS) is volatilized by boiling the wort and escapes the pot in steam. As long as you remove the lid once you hit a good rolling boil, you should not have any issues with off flavors from the DMS. Good luck with your cold weather brewing!

Dimethyl sulphide (DMS) is volatilized by boiling the wort and escapes the pot in steam. As long as you remove the lid once you hit a good rolling boil, you should not have any issues with off flavors from the DMS. Good luck with your cold weather brewing!

+1 :mug:

Thanks all...I have a plan!

Also...I am already planning a little more in my pre-boil volume to compensate for extra loss during the boil. Hopefully that pays off.

Make sure you wear a couple of pairs of socks. I did a brew about 2 weeks ago. The high was about 45 but by the time the wort was cooled I was frozen. Still in the high thirties.

A lid is good until the boil starts.

I brewed today in the teen's and didn't notice a loss due to taking longer to get up to boil,was not windy but tomorrow might be and I'm brewing again. Do you think you have to compensate? Maybe I have to rethink/plan

Make sure you wear a couple of pairs of socks. I did a brew about 2 weeks ago. The high was about 45 but by the time the wort was cooled I was frozen. Still in the high thirties.

A lid is good until the boil starts.

I haven't had the pleasure to brew in the 40's for months, I won't complain much though at least it hasn't been windy

Back