Quick oxidation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steed

Reaction score
so I was about to go to sleep and noticed the airlock popped off at some point during today on my mead.

I put the airlock back on and it's bubbling correctly.

How long is too long for a gallon of mead to be exposed to open air?

As long as CO2 is being produced the exposure to air is minimal. Any adsorption of oxygen would be scrubbed out by the CO2.

ok good; the airlock is still bubbling out co2 it must not have been exposed to oxygen too long luckily i caught it before i went to sleep

Oh crap. While it sounds like you're fine, I think I'M screwed. This is my first attempt at making ANY type of alcoholic beverage and did not read about oxidation at all till this thread. I started a batch of Mango 3 days ago and it's in a brew bucket. I KNOW I'm going to have a bunch of head space in my carboy when I rack in a couple of weeks. Should (can) I add more liquid now while it's still "active"?

-Pao

Oh crap. While it sounds like you're fine, I think I'M screwed. This is my first attempt at making ANY type of alcoholic beverage and did not read about oxidation at all till this thread. I started a batch of Mango 3 days ago and it's in a brew bucket. I KNOW I'm going to have a bunch of head space in my carboy when I rack in a couple of weeks. Should (can) I add more liquid now while it's still "active"?

-Pao

What?
You're hijacking a thread, but what are you brewing? What is a Mango? Why are you going to use a secondary vessel?

Adding liquid will just dilute your brew.

Start a new thread for answers to your predicament.

What?
You're hijacking a thread, but what are you brewing? What is a Mango? Why are you going to use a secondary vessel?

Adding liquid will just dilute your brew.

Start a new thread for answers to your predicament.

Well which sin is worse. Starting a new "Hi, I'm new Here are my problems" thread of which there are an over abundance of? or simply asking a question whilst staying on topic once OP has already has received their answer? ;)

While I'm being a smart ass.. I'm brewing beer. I just figured I'd post in a Mead forum. :mug:

(Now THAT is a proper thread jack LOL.)

But back to it. Thank you for your answer. I'm trying to think my way through the problem and if the problem was that I didn't add enough water to compensate for the headspace in my secondary vessel, I think I might be ok to "dilute" as it were.

Last edited:
Get an airlock and seal for the carboy but at this point you might have to sanitize the carboy and start a new brew. Check out the beer section of this forum they will know better as far as helping you. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back