Quick NooB Question - Sanitizing Gas Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokingGunn

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to keg for the first time today, and in all of my research I haven't seen anything about sanitizing the gas-side of the operation (ie, valve, regulator and gas line). I am assuming that is due to the fact that once connected the CO2 will deplete the oxygen (ie, air) in the system thereby preventing any contamination, but I'd like a little clarification before I get after it.

So... do we sanitize the gas equipment or not? Why? And if so, how?

Thanks --R:mug:

In a word - "no"!
You should be using beverage grade CO2. This will avoid any potential off flavors from industrial gas. Other than that there's nothing to sanitize outside the keg. Your regulator should have a check valve that will prevent beer form getting into the gas side.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In a word - "no"!
You should be using beverage grade CO2. This will avoid any potential off flavors from industrial gas. Other than that there's nothing to sanitize outside the keg. Your regulator should have a check valve that will prevent beer form getting into the gas side.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and threw my disconnect and gas line in a bucket of star-san just for good measure...

but a word of wisdom... I'm in the gas business and you really shouldn't be concerned with getting "food grade" or "beverage grade" CO2. It all comes from the same bulk tank. The only difference is the purge and vacuum process of the cylinder prior to filling. The only time you might need to be concerned with this is if your supplier is swapping tanks with you, as you have no idea what the tank you are getting was being used for or how it was handled. If you are having your own tanks refilled, be sure to keep the valve closed when you are not using the tank so as not to introduce atmospheric air into your cylinder and you'll be fine... by no means, please don't waste your money on "beverage grade" CO2... it's all the same.

Back