Quick hydrometer question... but technical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timo21

Reaction score
Ok so I am on my 5th batch of beer and I am making a lager, its been about two weeks and I wanted to see how the fermenting process was going so I took a reading and got 1.020 AFTER twisting the hydrometer and getting all the bubbles off (this was about 15 minutes after pouring into the tube). The OG was 1.043 so I know it still needs more time. Now I understand why its so important to get all the bubbles off the bottom of the hydrometer, because I left the beer in the tube and took another reading the next day about 24 hours later and got a reading of 1.015... and noticed much less carbonation or tiny little bubbles in the tube. Is it safer to wait a whole day to actually "take a reading" due to less bubbles and given it should be a more accurate measurement of ABV????

no. take the reading at whatever temp the hydrometer is calibrated for, spin to get the bubbles off and take your reading.

First of all if you did not adjust your reading for temperature (or, ideally, adjust the temperature of your sample to the calibration temp---or at least the same temperature both times), you need to do this. Just a few degrees can make a point or two of difference. It'd have to be a big swing to account for 0.005 points---and it'd have to be warmer at the lower reading.

In principle, if you haven't thoroughly degassed the sample, the density is reduced by the suspended CO2. However, I believe that even if you had strongly carbonated beer, this is something at or below about the 0.1% level (based on a sciency-looking article I found via a google search). You can't measure that accurately with a hydrometer to begin with, so I'd suspect temperature.

Or, alternatively, operator error / measurement uncertainty together with temperature.

Back