Quick Hop Spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After draining out ALL the hop mush from my first 5 gallon batch I decided that I needed to make one of these.

It's a PVC 4"to3" reducer. I 3" flange, and 3 8" hex bolts along with the usual paint strainer.

2014-02-18 18.15.46.jpg

2014-02-18 18.17.09.jpg

2014-02-18 18.16.15.jpg

2014-02-18 17.54.52.jpg

Do you have to add additional hops to ensure you get to the proper hop utilization? I love this idea. But I read something that talked about hop utilization when using a hop bag. I may not have understood it.

The only thing that worries me about that design is the flange looks a little loose holding that bag. Hops tend to gain a lot of water weight in the boil and i'd be worried that bag might slip out and into the wort. I'm not saying it will, i'm saying my anal self would worry about it.

If that ever happens, flip your spider over and attach the bag to the small end of the reducer with a hose clamp.

FYI, for anyone thinking about building one of these, you only need 2 legs to support it, not 3. In fact, I just drilled two opposing holes and stuck a piece of copper pipe through - no nuts or anything.

Regarding utilization, I've been using one so long I can't remember if I made any adjustments. I don't think so. Just brew something you've brewed before and you'll know.

Just be careful of a boil over, I made one and once that hot wort hit it it got all types of warped. Nice job using that other piece to hold the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made one using a stainless sink garbage disposal flange. I was going to use the plastic but was worried about melting. Found out I have to be careful with leaf hops and the size of the opening. I like the idea of the single pipe. Pictures? Dowsn't it want to spin or tip.

I made one using a stainless sink garbage disposal flange. I was going to use the plastic but was worried about melting. Found out I have to be careful with leaf hops and the size of the opening. I like the idea of the single pipe. Pictures? Dowsn't it want to spin or tip.

I also use a single pipe.
The weight of the hops in the bag keep it upright.

The only thing that worries me about that design is the flange looks a little loose holding that bag. Hops tend to gain a lot of water weight in the boil and i'd be worried that bag might slip out and into the wort. I'm not saying it will, i'm saying my anal self would worry about it.

If that ever happens, flip your spider over and attach the bag to the small end of the reducer with a hose clamp.

Actually that flange fits in there very tightly, especially when the extra bulk of the strainer bag is in there. I had looked at a 5" to 4" connector and probably should have got that as the opening is a little small. But it worked pretty good.

As far as hop utilization, I've seen comments both ways. The paint strainer seems to hold them in pretty good but still allowed a lot of water to flow so I'll know once this batch is ready to drink.

I opted for the flange so I didn't have to mess around with the hose clamp, but that was my original plan until I saw the flange fittings.

I hadn't thought about just 2 supports, I suppose that works too.

Latest posts

Back