Quick help with electricity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
I'll admit I have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to electricity.

I need a power supply for my Son-of-a Fermenation chiller that was so generously donated to me. The fan (computer fan) is 12V .25A. I have a 12V power supply I can cut to power my fan. It is .5 A. Can I use it? Will that difference in amperage kill the fan?

The fan (computer fan) is 12V .25A. I have a 12V power supply I can cut to power my fan. It is .5 A. Can I use it? Will that difference in amperage kill the fan?
You are the lucky one, your power supply can handle two . 25 A fans.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

You could use a 12v, 50 amp supply with no problem. The fan will only use as power as it needs.

Tom

You could use a 12v, 50 amp supply with no problem. The fan will only use as power as it needs.

For a linear supply, this is true.

If it is a switching supply (which more and more supplies are these days) there will be a minimum load requirement, and surely 250mA will not meet it on a 50A supply. Some have built in protection though.

I'll admit I have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to electricity.

I need a power supply for my Son-of-a Fermenation chiller that was so generously donated to me. The fan (computer fan) is 12V .25A. I have a 12V power supply I can cut to power my fan. It is .5 A. Can I use it? Will that difference in amperage kill the fan?

You can and should use it. You would want to size your PS for about 70-80% of FLA anyway your only talking about 20% more. If I read this right you want to use a 1/4 amp load on a 1/2 amp supply? Fuse it and Do it!
Cheers
JJ

Back