Questions on MLT deadspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme_timd

Reaction score
I'm trying to fine-tune my brewing process and decided to recheck a few things, like deadspace on the MLT. I have a 48 quart rectangular cooler with a bazooka screen. Here's my issue / questions...

If I leave the MLT flat while draining I lose a full gallon to deadspace. I have a wedge that I can put under the back of the cooler to tilt it and if I do that I only lose 1/4 gallon. I should mention that I batch sparge. Some pics are below.

If I leave it flat I'm worried I'm losing a lot of potential from the grains by leaving a whole gallon sitting on grain, however if I tilt it I'm concerned the angle will cause it to channel and effect overall efficiency.

Does anyone have any experience or input on what the best choice is here?

aT0ocUA.png

ybgsYmg.png

OhM5zZB.png

If you are batch sparging, then you don't need to worry about channeling. I have a 52-quart that leaves .25 gallon if left flat and .13 gallon if I incline the backside.

If you are batch sparging, then you don't need to worry about channeling. I have a 52-quart that leaves .25 gallon if left flat and .13 gallon if I incline the backside.

Thanks. Forgot to mention it but yes, I batch sparge.

I wasn't sure if the angle would cause it to draw more/faster and create an issue there. Good to know it won't hurt to tilt it, I'd gate to leave a full gallon behind.

If you are doing a double batch sparge the wort left behind will not contain much sugar. When draining and cleaning the MLT you might want to check the SG of some of the wort that doesn't drain. I'll bet that it is close to 1.015 or so, meaning that it would have little effect on your efficiency.

Back