Questions on kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlnash16

Reaction score
Just kegged my first beer...actually two batches. And I have some questions now.

1. I kegged at 30 psi and put the picnic taps on and tasted and they aren't bad. Can I leave the picnic taps on in the fridge? Even if the kegs last a few months in there? Or should I take them off and clean at a certain time?

2. If I force carb the keg and don't want to tap it for a few weeks or months do I need to store cold? Or can I carb the beer and just store it in my basement till keg time?

Can't think of anything else right now but am sure I will come up with more later. Thanks.

1) Sure, no problem.. if they get sticky, you can clean them.

2) I would keep it cool at least, as in, I wouldnt put it in the garage during the summer or anything, but room temps are fine. Basement is great. The beer will age some, and most get better with age =)

I agree with KillerKellers....but I'm curious,

You say you kegged at 30 PSI....does that mean you're leaving it at 30 PSI in your fridge? That's going to be some VERY overcarbed beer. If you meant you hit it with 30 psi for 24-48 hours, then dropped it to a more reasonable 12 psi, then you're fine.

I leave my taps on in the fridge, and didn't even clean em between beers...lol...I figure beer is constantly moving through them, so no worries. I'll clean them every few kegs.

You are correct. I hit it with 30 PSI for 24 hours and then turned it down to 12 PSI and that is what it is at in the fridge now. I am glad to hear I can just leave the picnic taps on and can clean between each keg.

If I decide that one of the kegs needs to age and don't need it on tap can I just disconnect the CO2 from it and store it? Will the carbonation hold if there are not leaks?

If there are no leaks, its just like any bottle of beer you buy in the store.. if it is carbonated to the way you like it. Just chill it good before you tap it and you will be fine =)

Back