questions on a partial mash IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxdoc49

Reaction score
I found a recipe online for a partial mash of an IPA (a recipe modeled after an IPA called Blind Pig). I wanted to give it a try. The recipe and directions seemed straightforward enough. I had a technical question for those more experienced than I that can hopefully shed some light on why they are in the directions. This is a 5 gallon recipe.

One of the steps in the directions calls for heating 2 quarts of water separately to a boil, and then when drawing off the wort from the mash step, adding that wort to the boiling water.
Not sure what this does; there is the step of heating 4-5 quarts of water to approx 180 degrees F for sparging, which is of course added then to the boil. Is it really necessary to first add your wort to this boiling water and then add the sparge water to the boil?

I did get this into the primary fermentor and it does appear to be fermenting. One step called for filtering out the hops. I didn't do this because I didnt have or didnt think about how to do it. I hope that does not affect the beer too much.

Only thing I can think of is that the recipe is trying to avoid scorching or caramelization of any of the first runnings.

This is the mashout step. It raises the mash temp to hopefully get you near 165-170. It stops enzyme activity as well as makes your mash easier to drain or lauter since its hotter and less viscous. Some do this some dont. I usually dont because its another step I have to take, I do make my sparge water pretty hot though to compensate.

Thank you , that helps me understand. It is an extra step and there is enough going on with that kind of recipe but I do understand the need to stop enzyme activity.

It is only working as a mashout step on the first runnings, since you are draining the mash into the boiling water. The sparge would not be.

Unless you are doing a fly sparge there is no need for a mashout anyway.

I feel it is a totally unnecessary step. Just draw off your first runnings, sparge for your second runnings and start the boil. Have the heat off when adding your extract to prevent scorching.

One thing I would say is that depending on how big your partial mash is you probably don't want to sparge up to the full boil volume as you might risk oversparging. Maybe with those instructions they just wanted to limit your sparge, with the rest of the volume going straight into the kettle. One advantage to having that water already boiling, or at least heating, is you'll get the batch up to boiling faster when you start adding your runnings.
Personally though I'd probably just add the mash and sparge water together and do a full volume BIAB style. With a partial mash you should have plenty of room in the kettle.

It is only working as a mashout step on the first runnings, since you are draining the mash into the boiling water. The sparge would not be.

Unless you are doing a fly sparge there is no need for a mashout anyway.

I feel it is a totally unnecessary step. Just draw off your first runnings, sparge for your second runnings and start the boil. Have the heat off when adding your extract to prevent scorching.
Thanks. That is what I thought would be a simpler approach and achieve the same result.

Back