Questions before buying camlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
So I'm moving into using my pump, and rather than deal with hoses and clamps, I figured I'd go full camlock right off the bat, since the prices are a lot nicer than I thought.

I haven't decided whether I'm going with bargainfittings or brewhardware yet, depends on price, I guess. But assuming I'd go with brewhardare (Bobby's a favorite around here, so I've determined), I want to make sure I get the right number/gender of everything.

My setup is as such:

March Pump 815-SS
RIMS tube, currently with 1/2inch npt on the in/out port
Mash Tun with 1/2inch NPT ball valve
Kettle with 1/2inch NPT ball valve

So In theory, I'll need, at most, 3 runs of tubing, which would be during mashing:

Mash Tun -> pump -> rims -> tun

For the return to the tun, I don't really need a fitting on the end, but being that the pump->rims would be a very short run (both mounted on the same board), might as well.

Which means I'd need:

~6 foot 1/2 ID silicone hose. Cam Kit BL on one end (kettle/mash output) and Cam Big C on the other (pump input)

~6 foot 1/2 ID silicone hose. Cam Big C on one end (pump/rims output), Cam Kit BL on the other end (kettle/mash input)

~1 foot 1/2 ID Silicone hose. Big C on both ends, to go from Pump to Rims

Then, for my vessels/pumps:

Kettle: Type F on input and output

Mash Tun: Type F on output

RIMS: Type F on input and output

Pump: Type F on output, Type A on Input

Whirlpool arm: Tube Compression adapter

So overall, my buy list would be:

~13 feet of 1/2ID Silicone Tubing
6x Type F
1x Type A
1x Compression Adapter
4x Type Big C
2x Type BL

Am I missing anything?

All i can add is barginfittings ships very fast and always correct. I have a very simular set-up. Only using one march pump and fly sparging. have not jumped into a RIMM's yet. I would order extra fittings if your budget allows. Also get end caps for hot transfer. Nice to be able to cap a hot end to swap a hose. Don't forget a long scrub brush to clean out the hoses when needed.

You make a good point. Guess there's another 6-foot run of silicone tubing with a big C on one end, and empty on the other?

I also updated the list, switching out one of the F on the march pump for an A, since the input is male threaded.

I found it useful to have a male camlock on the output of my water hose, so I can use one of the more flexible silicon hoses between it and the HLT, and when using fresh water back through the valves of the kettle and HLT during cleaning.
I also have a hose section that has a male camlock as a weight that helps keep the hose in the fermentor.

Back