Questions about Raisins and Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoFBrewer

Reaction score
Currently trying making a "Red Flannel Cider" from Brew! Magazine. It says to use raisins and oak chips, but have never tried using these in cider making before.

Any hints or feedback from someone who has?

-how long should I leave the oak chips in? Alot depends on taste, but anyone have a rough estimate (ie weeks, months?) when I should start checking?
-it discusses soaking the chips in spiced rum / burbon - any idea how strongly this could affect the taste? or has someone found one tastes better than others?
-any idea what type of raisins?

or any other feedback you have

Thanks!

I can't speak for the wood chips, but the raisins are just yeast nutrient. I steep a handful or two in a small amount of cider when I dissolve my brown sugar. Then just strain and put the "tea" into my fermenter. It does add a little tannin, but I don't know if it's enough to be detectable in a 5-6 gallon batch.

You can probably skip the raisins if you don't want to add them or if you use nutrient.

Oak chips: Depends on the amount called for. If it is around 1/2oz or so per gallon. Can't say how long, since I use oak beans. Try checking the first time around a week, then occasionally (depending on how fast the flavour seems to be leaching out of them) until the cider is where you want.
As for the spirits--I would not use spiced rum (not a fan), but an aged rum or bourbon would be just fine. I tend to soak my oak in whatever spirit will add a complimentary touch of flavour to the finished product (whether that is vodka, or jaegermeister) and pour the lot in (no alcohol abuse!).

Raisins: Pickled Piper has it right on them...mostly. If there are a lot of raisins they can add flavour and colour as well. As for type, golden ones won't add colour...

How about you post the recipe you plan to use?

Raisins will add sugar, a bit of color & some body; flavour too if you use a lot. I use plain old, ordinary raisins, made from thompson seedless grapes. They do everything they need to in my ciders. Golden raisins are the same raisins, they were just treated with SO2 to preserve the color; they also cost a lot more. Zante "currants" are NOT currants, they are actually raisins made from zante grapes.

I always run raisins through the food processor to roughly chop them. This makes for some thick sediment in the fermenter, but it also gives the yeast easy access to the sugars in the raisins. I typically use between 2 & 4 lbs in my ciders, depending on the recipe. I add the raisins in primary & I always add a dose of pectic enzyme as well, to help break down pectins & cell walls in the fruit.

Regards, GF.

Not sure of the batch size or amount of oak you're using, but I doubt a soak in rum/bourbon would impart any additional flavor into your finished product. In fact, it will make the oak flavor less potent as some of it will leach into the spirits, which might actually create a nice oaked rum but not really help your cider. If the soak is simply a means to sanitize the oak then just go with cheap vodka.

I've used 2 ounces of oak chips per gallon for the three weeks leading up to bottling with good results. I boiled the chips in apple juice until the juice boiled down.

thanks for your ideas!! here what I put in the primary:

5.5 gal fresh apple cider
mixture of 8oz molasses, 28oz brown sugar, 15oz honey, 13oz raw sugar and 16oz white sugar
2.5tsp yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme
2 x Wyeast 4767 yeast

I am planning on using approximately 1oz of oak chips and 1lb raisins in the secondary; adding the raisins first, and once they settle adding the oak chips

Hey there,

I'm thinking of making Red Flannel Cider this weekends. Any thoughts on the recipe? How did yours turn out?

Back