Questions about my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert_heat

Reaction score
So I finally ponied up the cash and got into a hobby I have been wanting to explore for a long time. But not before I did some extensive research on the process, equipment, etc.

However, I still have some lingering questions so maybe someone can help we with this.

1) The kit I purchased came with like four sets of instructions that varied on particular subjects. When in doubt I trusted the recipe that came with the actual ingredients kit (an Anchor Steam knockoff), but there is still one remaining question.

One set of instructions seemed to imply that I should have a pot in which I have steeping my grains separate from the actual boiling kettle. Is this standard? If so how much water should be in the pot?

My understanding is that you put 3 gallons of water into your main pot, steep the grains, add the extract, bring to a foamy head, let it cool back down, bring to a rolling boil and then start the hop addition process.

On a side note, I blew the foamy boil part. I checked the pot and it wasn't foamy so I walked into the other room to turn down my TV. In that 15 seconds the pot came to a boil and boiled over spewing some nasty sediment all over my stove and leaving a grainy layer on the inside of the kettle. Hopefully this won't affect the brew too much.

2) Irish Moss - The recipe kit I bought came with a tiny package of Irish Moss, does the amount of Irish Moss you add directly affect the clarity of the beer? In addition, does it effect the taste? If I wanted a clear beer could I theoretically add as much as I wanted?

3) Air Lock - So I realized after I left this morning that I had filled the airlock past the little water line. Not all the way to the little cap that is on top, but pretty high. SHould I suck some water out? Is it going to blow up in my house while I am at work today?

Thanks for your help.

1) I always steep grains in the brew kettle. I have never done it in a separate pot.

2) That small amount of irish moss is all you need. Add it with 10 minutes left in the boil. It will not affect the flavor of the beer, and adding more won't really improve the process.

3) It woudln't hurt to take a little water out of the air lock, but it won't blow up. It's a good idea to use something like a star san solution or a little vodka in the air lock in case some of it does get sucked into the beer. Too much water in the air lock usually just causes some of the water to come out of the air lock as pressure builds inside the fermenter. It won't usually go back into the fermenter unless there is a pressure change like an extreme cooling of your wort.

1.) You can steep in the boil kettle. Just make sure that the temperature doesn't get too high, or you'll start extracting tannins (this happens above 170 deg F).
As for boilovers, they always happen when you are not watching. Foam control drops are helpful to minimize the potential of that happening.

2.) Use the moss as directed. Too much can affect the flavor of the beer. I suggest upgrading to Whirlfloc, which is inexpensive, works better than Irish Moss, and comes in convenient tablet form.

3.) Overfilling the airlock isn't going to hurt anything. You may get blowoff if you didn't use foam control drops, but that doesn't have anything to do with the airlock water level.

One set of instructions seemed to imply that I should have a pot in which I have steeping my grains separate from the actual boiling kettle. Is this standard? If so how much water should be in the pot?

No real advantage that I see. I just put it all in one pot.

My understanding is that you put 3 gallons of water into your main pot, steep the grains, add the extract, bring to a foamy head, let it cool back down, bring to a rolling boil and then start the hop addition process.

I generally add the hops at the start, but as long as your bittering hops are in for the full hour, it's probably OK

On a side note, I blew the foamy boil part. I checked the pot and it wasn't foamy so I walked into the other room to turn down my TV. In that 15 seconds the pot came to a boil and boiled over spewing some nasty sediment all over my stove and leaving a grainy layer on the inside of the kettle. Hopefully this won't affect the brew too much.

Live and learn. If much boiled over, your OG might be low giving you a lighter beer, but it'll still be beer.

2) Irish Moss - The recipe kit I bought came with a tiny package of Irish Moss, does the amount of Irish Moss you add directly affect the clarity of the beer? In addition, does it effect the taste? If I wanted a clear beer could I theoretically add as much as I wanted?

I think you just want to add about a tablespoon. I add 15 minutes before end of boil.

3) Air Lock - So I realized after I left this morning that I had filled the airlock past the little water line. Not all the way to the little cap that is on top, but pretty high. SHould I suck some water out? Is it going to blow up in my house while I am at work today?

I think the worst that will happen is some of your water will bubble out of the air lock

Latest posts

Back