Question Regarding Countertop Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahuaro

Reaction score
O.K, so two batches ago I decided to start using the "countertop partial mash" utilizing the two gallon water jug and 4 lbs. of grain method.

I have had little problems and actually excellent results regarding original and final gravity readings.

Example recipe:
3 lb. Wheat DME
1.5 lb. Bel Pils 2-row
1 lb. wheat malt
1 lb. flaked oats
.5 lb flaked wheat

So in preparation for tomarrows brew I decided to read the BYO mag. article again in its entirity and read this:
You can even use a limited amount of starchy adjuncts — such as flaked maize, flaked oats or flaked barley — up to around 13 oz. (0.36 kg) per 5.0-gallon (19-L) batch when mashed with most 2-row pale malts. (You can use up to 19 oz. (0.54 kg) of starchy adjunct if you use a 6-row base malt.)

I must have skimmed over this part before and I can't seem to find any info on why this is or what adverse affects this has on the end result if you do as I did and overuse adjuncts. Any body out there have any technical knowledge or past experience with this?

I've brewed one extract batch, and i'm doing my first partial mash tonight, so take this with a grain of salt, but-

BYO is probably recommending that because those flaked grains have not been sprouted and roasted in a malting process, so nothing has turned the starch of the grain into available sugar. You need the enzymatic action of malted grain to extract much in the way of fermentables from the adjuncts- that's why the 6-row with more enzymatic "power" can handle more adjunct.

For you, though, if you're hitting OG and FG and getting beer that you like, I don't know that I'd change much for now.

Like I said though... grain of salt. If I'm off base here just let me know! :p

Back