Question regarding ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niksput

Reaction score
Hey, i've only done one batch before (a simple 'Lager' kit, without anything complicated). I'm about to start batch two, and will be selecting a ready-to-make kit tomorrow. What i'm asking is, is there any generic way to increase the ABV of a batch, regardless of the ingredients you use? Such as adding more sugar, yeast, or other household things? Thanks! :mug:

EDIT: I'm using a tin of ready made syrupy brewing mix, rather than preparing and adding the ingredients seperately, would the addition of extra fermentables be suitable for said brewing kit?

You can add extra malt extract, corn sugar, or honey. Adding a lot of any extra fermentable will change the properties of the beer in many cases though.

I shall give the honey a go as I have about 10 jars of the stuff. How much would you say would be the correct amount?

A pound of honey/sugar in a five gallon batch will increase your OG by about 0.007 and increase your ABV by about 0.8%. If you want to impart any of the honey flavor and aroma to your brew, add the honey at flame out.

I would get a small bag of dry malt extract and add a specific amount of that. I actually saw this formula the other night by dwarven_stout: 1 lb of xlight DME in 1 gallon = roughly 44 points of gravity

seems right to me. hope it helps. Cheers

If you get too carried away with increasing the ABV, you will also risk getting out of balance with your hops & bittering. Don't go too crazy with this.

Thanks, i'll research into this. My concern is that i'm using a ready-made kit, will these techniques be too advanced for such a beginners kit?

No, the only problem is beginner's kits tend to be on the low-end for body already. Adding honey or sugar will make it even thinner.

The advice I give beginners is to perfect techniques before you start messing with recipes. Also, there is an order applied to which techniques need to be stressed first. These are in this order because of their importance to creating great beer.

0) RDWHAHB
1) Sanitation
2) Patience
3) Fermentation Control (specifically temperature)
4) Consistency (documentation is key)
5) Just about everything else.

I put the last one there because if you don't have the first four mastered and practiced with every brew, you are never going to make great beer every time. I put the first one there because this is a hobby and we're here to have fun. If homebrewing wasn't fun, you'd never find people this passionate about it.

Also, read! There are a ton of great books out there that will more than get you started.

Happy Brewing! :mug:

No, the only problem is beginner's kits tend to be on the low-end for body already. Adding honey or sugar will make it even thinner.

for this reason, I would recommend adding more malt extract - either dry or liquid - instead of simple sugars.

Ive been curious if it's possible to add anything to the beer during fermentation to give the yeasties a little more to chew on. I just don't have the harbles to potentially damage my beer. Anyone know from 1st hand experience?

Corn sugar. Search and there's a thread of a DFH 120 clone that has multiple daily addition of a pound of corn sugar. The poster tracks his progress as he reaches for 21% ABV.

Try this? They say it doesn't change qualities of beer.. I bought some, haven't used it yet though.

Austin Homebrew Supply

'A 14 oz (392g) bag.
The BrewVint Alcohol Boost is 55% maltose and 45% glucose. This dry sugar adjunct will boost the alcohol content without changing the taste, color, or aroma of the beer. One 14 oz bag will boost the beer 1% ABV.
Usage: Add during boil with rest of sugars and adjuncts.'

Corn sugar. Search and there's a thread of a DFH 120 clone that has multiple daily addition of a pound of corn sugar. The poster tracks his progress as he reaches for 21% ABV.

21%ABV?! Holy jumping jesus on a pogo stick! Does the poster say if the additions of dextrose?? mess with the mouthfeel of the beer? I know most sugars tend to make the beer watery.

I suggest working on your brewing technique first and making a good brew. Work to bigger beers with more ABV as your skills improve and just stick to "chasers" for now to add the extra alcohol you are looking for. :mug:

Seconding chasers. Until you get to the big beers, like imperial stouts and the like, where a big alcohol kick is part of the flavor profile, I wouldn't start mucking about with upping ABV just to get your beer more boozy. Most recipes will have you kicking around the 4.5-6% range; fiddling with the sugars before you know what you're doing can make for some out of balance beers in a hurry. That said, if you want to make bigger beers, start upping your malt extract amounts, but don't forget to up your hops to compensate, unless you want your beer to start skewing toward the malty flavors of some of the brown ales and milds. Not a bad thing, but it may not be what you're looking for.

Here's my 2¢ worth; I'm a novice brewer but a long time consumer. If I could brew a beer that tasted like Pliney the Elder but had a ~5% ABV I'd be happy. I like to enjoy the flavor and since my liver & other parts are fairly well seasoned, high alcohol content just tends to cut the session short. Go for a great tasting beer - if you want high octane, have a shot of JD between pints!

IMHO, it's about balance. If you brewed a mild and upped the ABV to 8%, the alcohol heat and flavor would over whelm the palette. If you brewed a RIS with 4.5% ABV, it would be like drinking syrup. The whole point of brewing is to create a beverage that is enjoyable to drink.

Back