Question re mixing “less used” hops for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparger

Reaction score
I’ve made several IPAs with well know hops (mosaic, 4 Cs, amarillo, simco, etc). I wanted to experiment with hops I havent used but am concerned that mixing and matching might create something horrible. On the other hand, it might be good - since they are all hops. So here is the proposed schedule
60 mins 1 oz Denali (high alpha)
20 mins 1 oz centennial (not exotic)
5 mins 1 oz Azacca
5 mins 1 oz cluster

Dry hop at 60% attenuatuation for 6-7 days
1 oz each of chinook, medusa, and citra

As you can see, I’ve got some hops many of us are familiar with (citra, chinook, centennial). The others are hops I’ve never used before.
Is this experiment worth it?
Any bad experiences from anyone on mixing these hop varieties?

I did a Denali/Azacca/Citra NEIPA that was nice. I'd probably try to bitter with the cluster (maybe plus a little chinook if you need the IBU's) and save the Denali for late addtion.

Denali is pure pineapple and other fruit, so I would not bitter with it. Cluster on the other hand, yes, maybe.

Is the recipe for 2-3 gallons? You are kinda low on hops for a 5 gallon batch of IPA.

I don't think the combination is neccessarily bad, but it depends what you're going for. Denali, Azacca, Medusa and Citra are fruit forward hops and Chinook is grapefruit/grapefruit rind and pine. I think it will work fine...

Denali is pure pineapple and other fruit, so I would not bitter with it. Cluster on the other hand, yes, maybe.

Is the recipe for 2-3 gallons? You are kinda low on hops for a 5 gallon batch of IPA.

I don't think the combination is neccessarily bad, but it depends what you're going for. Denali, Azacca, Medusa and Citra are fruit forward hops and Chinook is grapefruit/grapefruit rind and pine. I think it will work fine...
thanks for the Denali info. Will sub with magnum and dry hop with denali

Last edited:

Ive seen a lot recipes with much more hops, but for me personally, the returns on flavor diminish drastically with respect to the cost - just a personal observation obviously. If I feel like going the extra hop mile, I usually do the NB Pliny clone.

The beer came out great! None of the single hops were overpowering and they all blended fine.

Back