Question on substituting cane sugar for dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecobb

Reaction score
I'm asking this because I like my IPA's on the dry side and my extract brews have been coming out a bit sweet (1.020). I know that cane sugar is easily fermented and DME is bit a harder. But how much will it effect the final product and in what way? Also, what would be a proper amount of cane sugar to use? Say an extract recipe called for 7lb of LME and 1lb of DME... what would be the proper amount of cane sugar to replace the DME?

There shouldn't be much trouble getting LME/DME combo below the 1.020 threshold if you use fresh extracts & a proper, healthy yeast pitch. It's usually a yeast-related problem in my experience if you can't get an average gravity beer below 1.020. But here's a handy conversion chart to answer your question; http://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

Sure you can use 5-10% of sugar. No need for "raw cane sugar," table sugar (refined cane sugar) will work fine, the yeast won't know the difference, and neither will you.

Don't boil all the LME/DME for an hour. Use a third for the 60' boil and add the rest at flameout. It prevents excessive caramelization, which could results in more unfermentables.

What yeast are you using?

Smack pack of wyeast 1272 on both batches. I let it warm to room temp and then smack and let it sit for about 4 hours. I'm going to use s05 next and see if that makes a difference.

I prefer honey over cane sugar. Both ferment really clean though. I just think honey is safer to use and I'm not going to try boiling it first. Probably not true, but it's stuck in my brain and I'm sticking to it!

I'll usually add it after the krausen has fallen in the primary... or at 5 days after fermentation has begun, whichever is later. You want the yeast to clean up a bit first. Otherwise, they'll jump right on the simplest sugar and get lazy. Warm the honey container in hot water first to make it flow faster.

I would just stick to the recipe, then add a pound or two of honey later. It's an IPA! A little extra alcohol isn't gonna hurt! Lol!

As for a gravity of 20...

Many people hit but can't go under this threshold with extracts. A lot of it has to do with the unfermentables in extract. Technique, yeast viability/amount, and fermentation temp are also big factors. I'm sure you'll figure it out quickly.

Cheers, and good luck!!!

Smack pack of wyeast 1272 on both batches. I let it warm to room temp and then smack and let it sit for about 4 hours. I'm going to use s05 next and see if that makes a difference.

It should. Smack packs have less yeast cells than dry packs. It's usually preferred to make a starter with a smack pack, depending on what you're try to accomplish or beer style.

1272 is a wonderful yeast. It gives a bit of fruitiness (apricots?) that works well with citrusy hops in many styles. It's attenuation however is medium, 72-76%, so that can be part of your high FG syndrome.

Also, one smack pack is really not enough yeast for a 5 gallon 1.060 batch. Making a starter, at least doubling the cell count, is your best strategy if you want to use liquid yeasts.

You can also consider to ferment on part (1/3-1/2) of the previous yeast cake. 1272 attenuates a bit better on subsequent rounds.

The 1.020 threshold is common with extract brews, hence the split between early and late malt additions to help with better attenuation. US-05 is much drier and has very little character. As long as you re-hydrate the yeast properly and keep the fermentation temps steady (low 60s) you should get a great IPA. As already suggested, add the sugar after the krausen has fallen.

Oh, don't fall for racking to a secondary, if that's what you've been doing. No need for that.

Idk why so many have problems getting extract beers below 1.020. The only time I had that problem was with a Burton ale using some 28g of Cooper's yeast. Pushed the threshold pretty close on that yeast. I've used several different extracts & in combination without that problem. It'd have to be poorly made extract or some yeast problem in my opinion. Other than alcohol threshold of the yeast, healthy pitch, etc.

Idk why so many have problems getting extract beers below 1.020. The only time I had that problem was with a Burton ale using some 28g of Cooper's yeast. Pushed the threshold pretty close on that yeast. I've used several different extracts & in combination without that problem. It'd have to be poorly made extract or some yeast problem in my opinion. Other than alcohol threshold of the yeast, healthy pitch, etc.

I believe it's a yeast issue, and newer brewers, 90% of the time. Just my opinion...

Plenty if professional brewers use a percentage of simple sugars to help dry beers out, especially IPA/DIPA brewers. I think Palmer advises 5-10% of your total.

I struggle to understand why a lot of extract brewers halt at 1.020. I don't make many extract brews, but do not have any problems.

Feel free to replace the 1 lb of DME for 1 lb of plain table sugar. I often use a little sugar in my brews. Helps dry them out (lower FG).

If you do not make starters, S-05 will do a better job than a liquid yeast.

Sugar & DME to not sub 1 for 1. The chart I listed gives the proper proportions.

The chart you linked says nothing of sugar. It equates DME, LME, and grain.

Sugar yields 46 ppg and most DME 45 ppg. You can go ahead and sub them one for one, the difference won't show in the small amount of sugar used in a recipe.

Oops. So much for my memory...:drunk: Got the priming calculator mixed up with the chart in my head. Old memory is like magic...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! ;) So you're right there. Anyway, I like to use demerara sugar-raw cane sugar-in PA/APA/IPA's & the like, about a pound. It gives a lil color & tastes like light brown sugar laced with honey. In the recipe, it just adds a lil sumpthin' sumpthin' to the flavor complexity.

That sounds interesting. I've always used plain table sugar, I think I'll mix it up on one soon.

A pound of demerara does add a little bit to a beer. Kinds drier by a bit, bit still that lil sumpthin' sumpthin'...Dang, I'm still feeling that bit of ghost chili I tried, purely in the name of brewing science...:drunk:

Latest posts

Back