Question on Starters...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
When making a starter, is it critical to keep the starter away form light like you do your primary/secondary?

I am about to make my first starter, for a belgian tripple.

Also, I assume you should keep the temp stable and in the optimum yeast temp range?

-Todd

HomerT said:
When making a starter, is it critical to keep the starter away form light like you do your primary/secondary?

I believe that it is the hop compounds that are sensitive to light. So that would be a no to your answer if you have an unhopped starter (as most of us usually make).

Also, I assume you should keep the temp stable and in the optimum yeast temp range?

This is not as critical for the starter. But it is a good ieda if you plan to pitch the whole starter and not only the sediment.

Kai

Thanks man. I am making a 1/2 gallon starter, but I only plan on pitching the sediment/slurry.

-Todd

You want to ferment it at room temp (around 70). Light won't hurt just keep it out of direct sunlight. If you make the starter early enough you can put it in the fridge 48 hours before you brew so the yeast will fall out and you can pour off the liquid.

Back