question on my ag brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboybuckup

Reaction score
My carboy plug the airlock gose in fell in carboy as soon as I added the yeast so I dumped it back in the brew bucket and got it out and put it back in the carboy. Yeast must be working 1st and 2nd day bubbled though air lock now 3rd and 4th day no bubbles. I read it may have like a cardboard taste to it. What y'all think?
Thanks
Oh yeah its a dry Irish stout

Welcome to the site!!
Your not the only one to do that... :)

Since you moved the beer back and forth before fermentation started you should be fine.
Fermentation slowing like that is common with some yeast strains as they tend to ferment out the beer pretty quick and now there doing some clean up work.
I would let the beer stay right there for the next 2 weeks and let the
yeast clean up after themselves.

Tim

Thanks Tim
so you don't think it will have a weird teste from disturbing the yeast like card bored or anything else?
Welcome to the site!!
Your not the only one to do that... :)

Since you moved the beer back and forth before fermentation started you should be fine.
Fermentation slowing like that is common with some yeast strains as they tend to ferment out the beer pretty quick and now there doing some clean up work.
I would let the beer stay right there for the next 2 weeks and let the
yeast clean up after themselves.

Tim

Tim is correct, since you did this prior to fermentation, you shouldn't have any oxidation issues (oxidation is what causes that cardboard taste). In your case, what you did is Aeration, which is actually good for the process. Don't worry, your beer will be just fine.

What temp was your wort when you added the yeast? If it was on the warm side for the yeast strain, that could account for the fast fermentation. Since this is a stout, I would do as Tim recommends and let it sit a bit longer to finish out.

Thanks Tim
so you don't think it will have a weird teste from disturbing the yeast like card bored or anything else?

That cardboard taste usually comes from oxidation. But since you did it before fermentation began, and right when you pitched, you should be fine. You just super-aerated your wort. That could be one reason among many that you had a fast active ferm. Let it sit on the yeast a few more weeks, and then bottle it. Should be just fine.

Back