Question on LME substitution for a Nut Brown Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I originally posted this on Lil' Sparky's thread on his Nut Brown Ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/nut-brown-ag.30187/),
but since that post is over ten years old, I'm not sure if anyone is watching it.

Anyway, I'm going to to try the partial-mash version of his recipe, but my go to supplier (Midwest / Northern) doesn't carry Pale Liquid Extract (at least by name). My choices are (these are all Maillard Malts):
  • Pilsen Malt
  • Gold Malt
  • Light Malt
  • Wheat Malt
  • Maris Otter
  • Amber Malt
  • Munich Malt
  • Vienna Malt
  • Dark Malt
Are any of these a good substitute, or should I look elsewhere for a suppler that carries Pale Liquid Extract?

Thanks for the help!

I would use Pilsen or or Light as a substitute for 2 Row. I've had good experiences with both. Personally I find them to be interchangeable but not everyone is going to agree with that.that

When I do mini mash or extract brews I always use light DME for the base and use crystal and roasted grains for the flavor and color. So in LME I would go with the light.

A quick Google search found several Pale Liquid Extracts. They ranged from 1.2L to 6L. So depending on which one you chose the beers from each would be different.

If I wanted to brew the recipe I would choose the one from NB that is closest to 2L.

LME has a tendency to darken, so I'd use the lightest available if I were you.

Back