Question on high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloin

Reaction score
I brewed a Rye IPA a few weeks ago and I was hoping to get some thoughts on why my FG finished high.

Here is the recipe:

10# 2 Row Pils
2# Rye
2# Vienna
12 oz. Crystal 60L
4 oz. Flaked Barley
4oz. Carapils

1 oz. Tettnanger FWH 4.4% (First Wort Hopped)
1.5 oz. Chinook 60 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 30 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 15 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 5 min 12%

1 packet S-05

My OG was 1.064
My FG was 1.024

Fermented at 61 degrees for 3 weeks.

The last time I made this recipe, the FG was 1.014.

Thoughts?

I'm assuming same mash temp on both batches? I had an issue with low FG on a couple batches, problem ended up being my thermometer was off 5 degrees. Not sure what happened to the thermometer but i've since purchased a nice digital thermometer and have had no other issues with FG being off.

Compare this batch with the last batch.

Was the malt from the same lot? There can be differences lot to lot.

Was the mash temp exactly the same? A higher mash temp could cause that problem.

How about the age of the yeast? Viability could be the cause.

Was fermenting temp the same? I'm not sure if thats an issue, but could be.

Three weeks should be enough time to finish.

Hope you have better luck next time! :mug:

Compare this batch with the last batch.

Was the malt from the same lot? There can be differences lot to lot. -No, I just moved states and this was my first brew in my new location
Was the mash temp exactly the same? A higher mash temp could cause that problem. - Probably not - I think i ended up mashing LOWER than last time
How about the age of the yeast? Viability could be the cause.- just procured the yeast a day before the brew. I did buy three packages at the same time (three days of brewing in a row) and the other batches came out where expected
Was fermenting temp the same? I'm not sure if thats an issue, but could be. - No- for the first time, I used my keezer as a temperature controled fermentation chamber (the one benefit of moving, i had to drink all of my beer so it was completely empty!)

Three weeks should be enough time to finish. thats what i thought as well, i never take samples to see if it is done - i "set it and forget it"
Hope you have better luck next time! :mug:thanks! like i said, the other two batches came out as expected (made in consecutive days)
^

I'm assuming same mash temp on both batches? I had an issue with low FG on a couple batches, problem ended up being my thermometer was off 5 degrees. Not sure what happened to the thermometer but i've since purchased a nice digital thermometer and have had no other issues with FG being off.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a higher mash temp = higher FG
lower mash temp = lower FG
right?

I wanted to say that my strike water was too hot, but I thought i was able to bring it into the correct range. I didn't think that 1 or 2 degrees would throw it off by .08-.10 points... ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but a higher mash temp = higher FG
lower mash temp = lower FG
right?

I wanted to say that my strike water was too hot, but I thought i was able to bring it into the correct range. I didn't think that 1 or 2 degrees would throw it off by .08-.10 points... ?

generaly higher mash temp = higher final gravity, but that's not always the case. For example, a 60 minute mash at 145 will probably be less fermentable than a 60 minute at 150.

See here for a culmination of data from 3 sources:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/measured-mash-temperature-effects.html

This post on mash temperature theory may explain it better:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/mash-temperature-theory.html

What temperature did you ferment at?

generaly higher mash temp = higher final gravity, but that's not always the case. For example, a 60 minute mash at 145 will probably be less fermentable than a 60 minute at 150.

See here for a culmination of data from 3 sources:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/measured-mash-temperature-effects.html

This post on mash temperature theory may explain it better:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/mash-temperature-theory.html

What temperature did you ferment at?
thanks- ill look at those links

fermented at 61 (+/- 1 degree) for 3 weeks

Back