Question on Calculating Mash Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
Slowly delving into water chemistry as the next subject I tackle in hombrewing.

I used brewer's friend water calculator for my IPA. Given the details below do the mineral additions provided make sense?

Belgian IPA (BIAB)
Distilled Water
Mash Vol: 4.2gal
Fermenter Vol 2.65

Malt
5 lb Belgian Pale Ale
1lb White Wheat

Mineral Additions to reach 5.41 Mash PH:

Gypsum: 4.55 grams
Calcium Chloride: 2.27 grams

The additions seem OK for an IPA, which would benefit from more sulphate to emphasize the dryness of the beer.

But I think without knowing your water, it would be hard to say if the calculations are good. Can you provide more details on your water, pH, etc.?

The additions seem OK for an IPA, which would benefit from more sulphate to emphasize the dryness of the beer.

But I think without knowing your water, it would be hard to say if the calculations are good. Can you provide more details on your water, pH, etc.?

Says he is using distilled.

I'm in the same boat, using brewers friend, and distilled water. This is my usual additions for my IPAs, but for 5 gallon.

Gypsum 7g
Epsom salt 1.3g
Table salt 0.7g
Calcium Chloride 2g

Depending on the grain bill, sometimes 2-3 oz of acid malt is needed to get the pH where I want to be.

Back