Question on bottle aging and size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
I did a crap 2 gallon batch effectivly diluting a gallon of cran - rassberry with a gallon of water due to putting WAAAY too much sugar in it. Bottled it as soon as possible. At 5 months we opened one .750L and swimbo liked it so much we worked our way through the rest of the bottles. The last bottle was a 1.5L and was noticeably "younger", more jet fuelish, less flavor forward. Is this a consistant thing? That is the only 1.5 I have used untill last night when I put up 2 of a different gallon.
So the question is do larger bottles need more time? Or was this some kind of fluke?

Oxidation causes change.
Sometimes the change can be good, like turning higher alcohols (fusels) into aldehydes.

The amount of oxidation matters. Like adding a pinch of salt to a dish vs dumping it on.

So all else being equal the bigger the bottle the more time it needs.
Definitely maybe :)
If you can prevent the jet fuel character during fermentation, you may find that your wine tastes better younger and deteriorates with age.

Back