Question on ABV boost for recipe and OG/FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwulf1974

Reaction score
Gang,

Quick question. I brewed a Holiday Chocolate Stout for the holidays via a mini mash kit from AHS. The estimated OG was to be at 1.052 as following the recipe. I opted to get the abv boost and it's supposed to bump up the ABV by ~1%. After racking to the fermentation chamber, my OG reading was ~1.066.

I used Nottingham dry and after (7) days took a reading. My typical experience with Notty is that it is a fast fermenter. I pitched at 60F and for the (7) days until I did my first reading, I kept the temps at 61F - 62F solid. My first reading was showing 1.023 which puts the ABV right about 5.64%. How much further can I expect this to drop if at all? My attenuation at present would be about 65%, but the ABV is right around 1% higher than estimated, so putting it in line with what I could expect. I have to imagine it's close?

I will leave it alone for a minimum of (7) more days to let the yeast finish/clean up etc. and do another reading. I just wanted to get an idea of where this could finish out at because I've never used the boost before ( BrewVint Alcohol Boost is 55% Maltose and 45% Glucose).

Any input welcome and appreciated.

~ Nightwulf1974

Increase the temps if you can to let the yeast finish out. No risk of off-flavors now.

Back