Question on a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
I mixed up some boiled DME and water on sunday, cooled it and fed it to some yeast in my 1G jug, plugged and airlocked it. I planned on using it that night (it was dry yeast) and figured that I would give it a head start. This is my normal procedure. However, I never got to brewing that day. My starter went active, fermented, made a nice little yeast cake and appears to have settled down. Can I still use this yeast in today's brew? I can't see why not, but I wanted to ask first. It has been completely sealed all the time, and actually looks like a mini Ale brew!!

Yes. I would pour off the excess liquid, since it is now beer (not wort) and really has nothing to add to your fermentation. You might refridgerate it briefly to help the yeast settle out, pour off most of the beer (and drink it?), and pitch the yeast slurry (after it comes back up to room temp.)

IT has already settled out pretty good, so I will be taking the beer off and pitching the slurry. I am thinking of putting the beer back in the 1G and adding some blueberries and see what happens. I won't need the jug for a while.

Back