Question not found

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
Whilst I sip my first mini-mashed brew I started pondering the lead to all grain. I have the coolers I can convert, most of the pieces to convert the cooler, but only a 6 gallon pot.
While I was thinking whether to use the stainless steel braid and spring or create a manifold, something dropped on me like a ton of grist. I used a large grain bag in my mini mash, why can't the same principle be applied in all grain. Now I understand the need of the manifold device in order pull the wort through the entire grain bed, but with a fine mesh bag covering manifold would you still need the vorlauf? Has anyone tried this or heard of if? When I did my mini, my first vorlauf look like my fifth.

The grain bag should be holding back the stuff you are trying to remove via vorlauf. What you are describing is known at Brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) and alot of folks around here brew using this method. I don't think there is a vorlauf step in BIAB for the reason cited above.

Hope this helps.

I'm familiar with biab, but I was more or less talking about coverin the manifold with a mesh bag

I have actually wondered the same thing as OP. I have though about just lining my mash tun in with a grain bag mostly to facilitate easy cleaning. Just life the bag out and dump :)

Back