Question: Fruit Sour / Smoothie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad21Z

Reaction score
Does anyone know how these breweries are making this heavily fruited sours/smoothies (Answer, Imprint, 450 North). I'd like to try and replicate one but I'm wondering about the fruit additions.

Are they adding fruit to the secondary? Wouldn't that make a "thinner" beer where they are very thick?
I think you can kill the yeast off (similar to making a wine) prior to adding fruit to the secondary, but then how do you carbonate bottles?

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Lactose (or maltodextrin), sour in the kettle, then add fruit purée directly to keg. I wouldn’t recommend trying to bottle these styles of beers unless you ferment out all the residual sugars in the fruit (but then that probably wouldn’t get you the flavor profile you are looking for

edit: changed would to wouldn’t*

Last edited:
I brew a blueberry sour that screams blueberry . I haven't added lactose to these but I'm sure it would be good . I've brewed milkshake IPA which I really liked .

Back