Question for the cheapskates out there using plain old buckets for fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just buy a bottling bucket and put a lid on it.......no?

I actually replaced the spigot on my fermonster with the one for a bottling bucket. Just felt better then the original one.

The difference between a solid bucket lid and a drilled grommeted lid is a couple US dollars. I realize everyone is operating on their own budget, and times are tough, but this is a hobby and every hobby comes with expenses...I'd say this is a worthwhile expense.

I have used the cheap plastic buckets with tight fitting lids drilled and grommeted for airlocks. For better than 20 years, I have never had issues. My carboys are OK, but I brew on the concrete patio, so I'm safer with plastic. Keep it clean, don't scratch it, lasts a long time. I think the last one cost me +/- $15. I don't want any other fermenter.

Ikea Vardagen beverage dispenser is a good fermenter? You just need to drill a hole and add an airlock? You can buy a stand from Ikea too. What do you all think?
Let's see what it looks like:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vardagen-beverage-dispenser-80452639/
VARDAGEN - $24.99
Beverage dispenser, 5.3 qt
Body: Glass
Metal parts: Stainless steel
Plastic parts: Silicone rubber

It being glass can surely be a deterrent (it can break), and it's only 5.3 qts (4 liter).

Back