Question after bottling. Taste question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
What is your guys experience with tasting during bottling?

3rd batch.

American Amber Ale

Sat in primary for 3 weeks and cold crashed 5 days.

I tasted it and almost wanted to stop bottling because it tasted metalish... just not a good taste overall. My pot is stainless steel and new. I only use plastic and glass equipment.

I bottled a Pumpkin last week that taste awesome during the bottling stage. I was under the impression that the beer tasted pretty mush the same during bottling -- just with no carbonation.

Anyways I got about 45 beers out of that batch. Hope i don't have to dump them

I'm new as well, but in tasting my last batch, I, too, thought the batch was to be thrown out. Very astringent, harsh, just plain nasty.

Read on a forum: never throw out a batch, just give it time. So I did.

Week 2 better, palatable; week 3 not bad; week 4 it actually tasted good.

Now at week 8, I'm running into some conundrums where the warm beer is almost perfect but the 'bottles in the fridge for the past week' are uncarbonated-metalic-band-aid drinks. So, now giving it time and experimenting with chilling practices and drinking tasty, warm beer.

Could be your water is high in something like iron that can give off metallic flavor. Have you profiled your water? Note: you could also just buy spring water to brew with; worth a few bucks a batch when you're not yet ready to get into playing with your water.

Could be a too much sanitizer that left a little metallic flavor; that happened to me when I was newer and went overboard.

Could be older hops. I've had metallic tasting homebrew and we finally pegged old hops as the apparent problem.

Could be yeast nutrients you used... if you used any.

Could be a little oxygen late in your fermentation (or even bottling) process.

Could be over-carbed, which can give off this flavor in the mouth.

Could even be the yeast strain you used... some guys claim they can taste metallics in some Belgian yeast strains.

No matter what...... these flavors will typically age away... Wish more concrete guidance was possible...

:mug:

I'm new as well, but in tasting my last batch, I, too, thought the batch was to be thrown out. Very astringent, harsh, just plain nasty.

Read on a forum: never throw out a batch, just give it time. So I did.

Week 2 better, palatable; week 3 not bad; week 4 it actually tasted good.

Now at week 8, I'm running into some conundrums where the warm beer is almost perfect but the 'bottles in the fridge for the past week' are uncarbonated-metalic-band-aid drinks. So, now giving it time and experimenting with chilling practices and drinking tasty, warm beer.
What you tasted was green beer,not bad beer. Green beer is very immature And tastes bitter,astringent,etc compared to carbed & conditioned. So it wasn't bad,just young.
What is your guys experience with tasting during bottling?

3rd batch.

American Amber Ale

Sat in primary for 3 weeks and cold crashed 5 days.

I tasted it and almost wanted to stop bottling because it tasted metalish... just not a good taste overall. My pot is stainless steel and new. I only use plastic and glass equipment.

I bottled a Pumpkin last week that taste awesome during the bottling stage. I was under the impression that the beer tasted pretty mush the same during bottling -- just with no carbonation.

Anyways I got about 45 beers out of that batch. Hope i don't have to dump them

Here's a page from morebeer that'll explain what you need to know; http://morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors

Thanks for the replies.

Notes

*I used bottled spring water.

*My 1st mini-mash and I don't think I mash all that well (clumps in grains) (prob didn't sparge that well too)

*Yeast was liquid and didn't know how to do starter yet - but the instructions said i did not need to because of the low gravity -- too 70 hours to start showing signs.

Other than that everything was well i thought.

Hope it ages out

Back