question about yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ims0ko0l

Reaction score
im doing a red ale with extract and grain and everything went smooth until the end. i used the white labs dry English yeast, as soon as i open it it kind of popped and i woulds say about 1/4 was wasted so i put the rest in the carboy. my question is if i buy another bottle can i add the rest of the 1/4 in o should i just leave it alone. thanks ahead of time.

you'll be fine. Yeah that happens a lot with the White Labs vials, in the future sanitize the vial and then open over your bucket. For a starter get yourself a funnel and open it over that so all the yeast goes into your flask.

you'll be fine. Yeah that happens a lot with the White Labs vials, in the future sanitize the vial and then open over your bucket. For a starter get yourself a funnel and open it over that so all the yeast goes into your flask.

Thanks a lot. Forgot to mention its a 5 gallon batch. Will it still be ok?

The batch will be ok. The yeast is under pressure like a slightly shaken bottle of Coke. Just crack the seal slightly pause then proceed. Some people shake them up really well right before opening it. Guess what happens?

Forrest

The batch will be ok. The yeast is under pressure like a slightly shaken bottle of Coke. Just crack the seal slightly pause then proceed. Some people shake them up really well right before opening it. Guess what happens?

Forrest

ok thanks glad to hear that. its my third batch and something always seems to go wrong at the end, bad luck i guess. just dont want a third bad batch.

what happend to the other batches?

My first was a Bavarian heff and at the end my air lock broke so I tried to use the rubber cork and accidentally pushed it all the way in so It was in there the whole time, so i used a hose an Half a bottle of star San bit it still came out Skunky with he rubber cork in it. the second one I had a few people over (which I'll never do again) I was using a fine bag to filter when pouring it in to the carboy and the person holding the top of the bag decided to squeeze the bag at end with his filty hands. Other than that it has always been smooth till the end.

Latest posts

Back