Question about using Oxygen in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Ok, so in my current system I have been using an aquarium pump hooked up to a diffusion stone that threads into a T in the outlet of my Plate Chiller as the wort passes over it into the fermenter

Im in the process of revamping my equipment, so I thought I would ditch the aquarium pump and use an Oxygen bottle.

I purchased one at Lowes, and my Idea was to use a spare propane torch head twisted on to the Oxygen bottle with a piece of tubing going to the stone.

But the propane torch head wont fit the Oxygen Bottle threads. What is everyone using for this set up ?

Thanks

OK, so I'm changing my plan a bit. I bought a nice used Medical Oxygen regulator off of Ebay for $10. Now I'm looking for a small refillable Oxygen bottle. anyone else using one of those ?

you can find those bottles full on Craigslist sometimes but you will need a prescription to get them refilled. I think its more common for people to get these 540GCC regulators and hook them up to an O2 welding bottle. The quality of the medical O2 and welding O2 is very similar and if you run an inline air filter too you're golden.

Last edited by a moderator:
William's Brewing also has 540-type regulators for big bottles. I have one and love it. You can find O2 bottles on Ebay, or your local welding supply. Note that many welding supply companies exchange bottles, rather than just filling them.

Yes I bought this regulator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251431168325?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I am looking for a small welding bottle. Harbor Freight has one for $80, but I'm hunting for a used one on Craigslist

My brother bought one from HF for 80, and when he took it in to air gas it ended up costing him another 30-40. He said in hind sight he wish he just got it for them, because it would have been 100 for the full bottle.

I've been scouring CL for a while here too, if you go that rout make sure the tank has a current hydro test, and or a stamp from a vendor in your area. If you take it to the original vendor they will exchange with out a hydro test, at least thats the way it is at the air gas shop i go to.

Ok, so I have my regulator and a new oxygen tank. question for those using a regulator. it has settings from 1/4 to 10. they told me its measured in Liters per minute, and the tank holds 420 Liters. What setting are you guys using to oxygenate your wort ?

Brewed a big barley wine today and decided to use the oxygen from my cutting outfit as a supply. I purchased the SS filter, 1/4" hose and filter. After chilling my wort to the fermintator, I set the regulator to about 5 PSI, Put on a small welding tip that fit nicely into the 1/4 inch hose. I added the Oxygen for about a minute. We will see how it turned out.

Back