Question about Nanobrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Like 90% of the guys on here we all have dreams of starting a real brewery someday and make a comfortable living doing what we love, brewing beer!
Im thinking the local bar in town (zero craft beer) would be interested in putting some local brewed beers on tap. Before I go through all the paperwork, licensing, taxing, etc I was wondering about getting a feel for it. Would it be legal for me to give my kegged beer to the bar for free, and they serve free sample pints to people? Absolutely no money exchanging hands, everything free, just to feel if the customers would buy the craft beer?

I completely agree with checking your state laws, but I do know a number of states consider it fine to give friends and family your beer--they extend this to brewing clubs/tastings and competitions as well. Following this logic, I don't see how a tasting at a bar would be much different than a tasting at a brewing club (as you said, no money exchanged for anything). The one point I'm not sure of here is whether the law might consider kegged beer different than bottled beer.

As david pointed out though, all states are different so check the laws if you want to be sure.

My understanding is that is legal on the federal level, but state and local laws vary so much. Do some checking on probrewer, both for the legalities and the viability. Take the advice with a grain of salt, they don't really like nanos on there, but pay attention to what they have to say. I have looked at the numbers, and it takes a special set of circumstances for a nano to be viable in the long term, even more so if you have no intention or potential to grow substantially (and quickly). Also look into Brewpub type operations. If you can self distribute you can benefit from your own tap sales while still supplying other local businesses.

I have been through the process recently, this is illegal in Texas, but our alcohol laws are stoneage

Latest posts

Back