Question about my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolman

Reaction score
Just whipped up my very first 5gal batch 2 weeks ago, an APA recipe purchased locally. Realized a few mistakes that I made after the fact and now wondering how critical the effects will turn out to be.

I realize the answer will arrive once it's time to taste for myself, but thought I would seek more informed & experienced dialogue here...

• 1st MISTAKE (and I suspect the most significant) was that I failed to start the Wyeast 'smack' pack in advance - It was just something I merely overlooked in the instructions. Basically, just tore the pack and pitched into Carboy when temp was <80.

Being my first time, I was not sure what to expect visually or how quickly fermentation would begin. I now realize that I put the yeast in a tough spot but they did kick in after about 30 hours, just was not sure how vigorous mine were compared to what might have been if I gave them the proper start. So I am wondering how much this will impact the end result.

• 2nd MISTAKE : I failed to 'top off' carboy up to the 5-gal line. I left about 3 inches more than 'ideal'. As a result, the krausen (is this also known as trob?) did not blow off thru the tube and subsequently settled back down after fermentation subsided. I have done some reading and realize this may likely impart some not so pleasant qualities, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced quality results having made a similar mistake.....

I allowed to ferment a few days longer (16) than recipe suggested (10-14). Did not have a hydrometer yet, but do now for future use.

Just bottled it yesterday. Should I give it more than 10 days ? Will this perhaps compensate for the yeast's rough start?

Thanks for any input.
Toolman

BTW : already brewed a 2nd batch (IPA this time) and everything went much smoother and seemingly right on track with the instructions.

&#8226; 1st MISTAKE (and I suspect the most significant) was that I failed to start the Wyeast 'smack' pack in advance - It was just something I merely overlooked in the instructions. Basically, just tore the pack and pitched into Carboy when temp was <80.

Being my first time, I was not sure what to expect visually or how quickly fermentation would begin. I now realize that I put the yeast in a tough spot but they did kick in after about 30 hours, just was not sure how vigorous mine were compared to what might have been if I gave them the proper start. So I am wondering how much this will impact the end result.

Activating the smack pack would have been ideal, but this is not going to hurt your beer at all. The yeast will take a bit longer to multiply since you pitched less cells, and cause it to be a bit longer before you see visible signs of fermentation. This is why you didn't see any activity for 30 hours.

&#8226; 2nd MISTAKE : I failed to 'top off' carboy up to the 5-gal line. I left about 3 inches more than 'ideal'. As a result, the krausen (is this also known as trob?) did not blow off thru the tube and subsequently settled back down after fermentation subsided. I have done some reading and realize this may likely impart some not so pleasant qualities, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced quality results having made a similar mistake.....

A blowoff tube is optional. Krausen is supposed to fall back down into the beer. If you have a very active fermentation, some of it will exit out a blowoff tube if you have one attached, but a blowoff tube is more of a means to stop your fermentation from spewing stuff all over your carpet/floor/ceiling.

Krausen is what's formed during fermentation. Trub is the stuff in the bottom of the fermenter after fermentation is complete.

I allowed to ferment a few days longer (16) than recipe suggested (10-14). Did not have a hydrometer yet, but do now for future use.

Absolutely. Some say that you can leave it in there for months with no negative impact on the beer.

Just bottled it yesterday. Should I give it more than 10 days ? Will this perhaps compensate for the yeast's rough start?

3 weeks in bottles is standard. It may have some carbonation before that, and it may taste ok, but it will be best if you can leave the bottles alone for 3 weeks.

&#8226; 1st MISTAKE (and I suspect the most significant) was that I failed to start the Wyeast 'smack' pack in advance - It was just something I merely overlooked in the instructions. Basically, just tore the pack and pitched into Carboy when temp was <80.

Yeah, that is certainly a mistake, but not in the way you're thinking. Smacking the pack releases a small bit of sugars and yeast nutrient. The pack then swells (if the yeast are viable) which gives you visual confirmation of viable culture prior to pitching. That small amount of wort and nutrient does NOT constitute a proper yeast starter. You can see here what the proper pitching rates are. You've definitely made beer, but only time will tell how much stress your underpitching caused the yeast, and how much that stress has harmed the beer. Next time, every time, you use liquid yeast, make a starter.

&#8226; 2nd MISTAKE : I failed to 'top off' carboy up to the 5-gal line. I left about 3 inches more than 'ideal'. As a result, the krausen (is this also known as trob?) did not blow off thru the tube and subsequently settled back down after fermentation subsided. I have done some reading and realize this may likely impart some not so pleasant qualities, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced quality results having made a similar mistake.....

Blowoffs are not necessary. What you describe happening (the krauesen falling back into the beer) is what happens all the time. I rarely get blowoffs, myself. Honestly, the krauesen is just yeast and other particulate matter, the same stuff that's floating around in your beer.

Thanks for that... On the 2nd batch (IPA), I did utilize a proper yeast starter and the fermentation was much more vigorous and noticeable far earlier. I also topped off properly which seemed to enable the krausen to make it out of the carboy via the blow=off tube.... I suppose the reason no krausen exited the blow-off tube the 1st go round was two-fold.... the less active yeast and the extra distance to the top of the carboy.... I will post the results upon tasting....

Latest posts

Back