Question about Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mildeng

Reaction score
Recently brewed my first 5G lager using a very simple recipe of 2-row (w/ 3% acid malt) and S23. Brew went well and I have hit my numbers through the process. Just finished a D-rest and now have begun lagering at ~35deg. I am lagering in my plastic fermenting pail in a temperature controlled fridge.

I understand that the lagering process will twofold finish up the fermentation, as well as drop out most other solids to contribute to the crystal-clear lager presentation. My typical kegging process from here is to allow the fermentation process to complete, and then siphon into my keg and hook up to carb. By doing this, I will be unsettling the beer somewhat in the process with movement and such.

Silly question - would it be worthwhile to transfer to my keg NOW and let the lagering process occur that way? My keg is unmodified, so will additional fermentation be occurring which could risk gas buildup? Or should I simply stick to my usual method, and transfer to keg after lagering is complete?

Recently brewed my first 5G lager using a very simple recipe of 2-row (w/ 3% acid malt) and S23. Brew went well and I have hit my numbers through the process. Just finished a D-rest and now have begun lagering at ~35deg. I am lagering in my plastic fermenting pail in a temperature controlled fridge.

I understand that the lagering process will twofold finish up the fermentation, as well as drop out most other solids to contribute to the crystal-clear lager presentation. My typical kegging process from here is to allow the fermentation process to complete, and then siphon into my keg and hook up to carb. By doing this, I will be unsettling the beer somewhat in the process with movement and such.

Silly question - would it be worthwhile to transfer to my keg NOW and let the lagering process occur that way? My keg is unmodified, so will additional fermentation be occurring which could risk gas buildup? Or should I simply stick to my usual method, and transfer to keg after lagering is complete?

Definitely can do it either way. Safer in a keg anyway and once you've lagered you can go right to serving.

good luck!

Less potential for oxidation if you rack it to the keg. That's how we always do it, especially if you already did your primary and diacetyl rest! Less potential for oxidation is always better! Plus, by the time you're done lagering, it will be carbed up and ready to drink!

I think lagering is more about getting the beer to drop clear than finishing up fermentation; there's not going to be alot of yeast activity at 35F and your D-rest should have pretty well finished out fermentation.

Regarding your question tho, if you decide to transfer to your keg and then lager/bring the temperature down you're going to end up with some settling in the bottom of the keg. Not a huge deal, but expect some junk in the first couple pints you pull.

If I'm going for a clear beer I like to use gelatin because I'm impatient lol. And in that case my process is to cold crash to 40F or below after the D-rest, hit it with the gelatin and give it 2-3 days to work its magic, then transfer to a keg & carb up. Gelatin drops about everything out of solution & packs it pretty tightly on top of the yeast cake.

Not at all trying to tell you what to do, just thought I'd share my process. If you wanted to stick with your original plan to lager in the keg I'd suggest just swapping out the dip tube for a floating dip tube that pulls from the top, then settling won't be an issue for you. Likewise, if you're worried about additional gas build up just pull the pressure relief valve every so often to be sure. Cheers 🍻

I end up lagering (storing cold in the keg) almost every beer I brew. If you are careful when siphoning and don't pick up too much of the yeast cake there is no issue. Like DannyBoy noted you may get some murk in the first few pours, but after that it will be clear. You can also use the gelatin in the keg with basically the same outcome. Good luck :mug:

It wasn’t clear from your original post, but are you lagering in your primary fermenter with the yeast cake at the bottom? I would definitely get it out of there if you haven’t already. Lagering in the keg is perfectly fine, and you can even hook up to CO2 to carb it up while it lagers so it’s ready to drink when the lagering period is complete.

Latest posts

Back