Question about dampfbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvhorwitz

Reaction score
I recently heard on the Basic Brewing Radio podcast about dampfbier.

I understand that this beer is made with all barley and a Wiesenbier yeast. The recipes are all over the place regarding ingredients , but is there a “genuine” recipe for this beer?

Thanks
Greg

Hey Greg, I’ve only brewed a dampfbier once and it was something like 80% german pils, 20% German light munich.

A “genuine” example would likely feature ingredients commonly used in Bavaria, since that’s where it originated. German malts ie pils, munich or vienna and lower rates of noble hops. I’d suggest a higher percentage of pils the with some munich in there as well.

Isn't Anchor Steam a steam beer, which is what Dampfbier means? No idea what they are doing differently though: I thought all commercial brew kettles were heated with steam??

There’s a difference between Anchor Steam and dampfbier, they’re two different beer styles.

Anchor steam is a California common. It’s fermented with a lager yeast at slightly warmer than usual. Typically this style is made with american 2-row and sometimes crystal.

Dampfbier is just “steam beer” in German. It’s an all barley malt fermented with weizen yeast so you get a lot of yeast character you would find in a hefeweizen but it doesn’t have wheat.

Apparently the “steam” got its name because they cooled their beer on the roof (in San Francisco) so folks saw the steam. I understand that the Bavarians saw the activity from the yeast and remarked that it was like steaming (that’s the folk tale anyway).

Hey Greg, I’ve only brewed a dampfbier once and it was something like 80% german pils, 20% German light munich.

A “genuine” example would likely feature ingredients commonly used in Bavaria, since that’s where it originated. German malts ie pils, munich or vienna and lower rates of noble hops. I’d suggest a higher percentage of pils the with some munich in there as well.
Thanks so much for your answer. I’m thinking of making this one, simple is good, especially for me. Thanks for your help.
Greg

Glad it was helpful! I really enjoyed the one I brewed, very easy and simple. Came out nice and crisp too. I suggest using wyeast 3068 it did a great job.

Back