Question about conditioning beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat_Nutz

Reaction score
I have brewed about 10 batches, 4 of which are all grain. Usually I bottle my beer but i got a deal on a corny keg and a Co2 tank. I usually condition my beer about 2 to 3 weeks, seems fine and tastes great in that amount of time. Upon getting the keg i decided to brew a very hoppy beer. 12 lbs pale malt, with 1 0z columbus at 60, 1 oz nugget at 30, 1 oz chinook at 10, and 1 oz cascade at flame out. Other than the hops i didn't do anything out of the ordinary. The beer has been charged at 20psi for 3 weeks now and it still has that weird, bitter, acidy hops tasted that it had after i kegged it, i took a sip, couldn't resist. Now being somewhat new to brewing I was just wondering if,
A. My beer just needs longer to age with all the hops?
B. Do I need to charge it to a higher PSI?
C. Do those hops used together like that make weird hoppy beer?
D. Have i done something to anger the beer gods and now they are getting back at me?

Any advice on this would be helpful and appreciated.
Goat

Yup, those hop amounts and combinations will benefit from some aging. Do some SMaSH beers to become more familiar with the ingredients. I have found Columbus in particular can be unpleasant at times. Brew up a few other beers in the mean time and wait for that IPA to mellow.

Try magnum for a bittering hop at 60 min. A dab will do and it's really clean.

This doesnt pertain to your question, but 20 psi?!?
What temp do you have it sitting at? Most people charge 8-12 psi at refrigeration temps for beer. My sodas sit at 20 psi to give them the extra carbonation. Again, this has nothing to do with your taste, just wondering why its so high, and if you have any foam issues. I definitely would not turn up the psi. It would not have any effect on the taste, but it would get way overcarbed.

the 20 psi was an experiment to see what would happen, my brother told me that he charges about 10 and ages, so i gave 20 a shot. Might be lowering it, i have noticed a rather large head with the 2 beers i have poured so far. Though if i let them sit a min they are just fine, but who wants to wait a whole minute. ;)

Latest posts

Back