Question about cold break/chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slt140

Reaction score
The last batch I made was the first time using a wort chiller. I am hoping it will help with my chill haze. Before that I used an ice bath. I brew full 5 gallon extract/steeping batches in a large stainless pot. It usually takes about an hour or so to cool with the ice bath, and took about 45 minutes with the chiller. The only difference is that with the ice bath the cooling seemed pretty steady, with the chiller it cooled very drastically at first but took a while to cool the last 15 degrees or so. So my question is will this change provide me with a better cold break/reduce chill haze, i.e. is it the total time taken to cool (in which case I should see no real difference) or is it the rapid cooling at first that helps (in which case I should see a difference)? Also are there any other benefits to rapid cooling besides the issue above other than the quicker you cool, the quicker you can start fermenting and reduce the chance of infection?
Thanks

The more rapid chill down will help with the chill haze. Are you stirring with your chiller while cooling? This will help cool faster. You can also crash cool before bottling and that will reduce chill haze. Also, do you use whirfloc? Whirfloc aded to the end of the boil will be a great help.

I add irish moss to the boil but usually dont cold crash, I dont have a very easy way to do it. I didnt think of stirring with the chiller, good idea. I will have to be careful not to stirr up too much of the trub and get it into the carboy when I siphon.

Back