Question about carbonation levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelakebrewing

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have quick question about force carbonating kegs and maintaining the volumes of Co2.

I have a keg of pale ale. Force carbonated for 1 week @ 35 degrees @ 10 psi, which in theory should give me 2.52 volumes of co2.

However, my question relates to bottling. I like to bottle from the keg to free up space for another beer to carb in my keezer. Im wondering, if I carb my beer at 35 degrees to 2.5 volumes, if the beer rises to say 40-45 degrees in my fridge, will the co2 expand to a higher volume since the temp is rising?

I hope that makes sense. Essentially Im just curious whether I will have a foamy bottle at 45 degrees after force carbing it @ 35 degrees. Thanks much.

Hey everyone, I have quick question about force carbonating kegs and maintaining the volumes of Co2.

I have a keg of pale ale. Force carbonated for 1 week @ 35 degrees @ 10 psi, which in theory should give me 2.52 volumes of co2.

However, my question relates to bottling. I like to bottle from the keg to free up space for another beer to carb in my keezer. Im wondering, if I carb my beer at 35 degrees to 2.5 volumes, if the beer rises to say 40-45 degrees in my fridge, will the co2 expand to a higher volume since the temp is rising?

I hope that makes sense. Essentially Im just curious whether I will have a foamy bottle at 45 degrees after force carbing it @ 35 degrees. Thanks much.

No. The volume will remain the same, once bottled. The only slight monkey wrench in this is that sometimes bottling with a counter pressure bottle filler or a beergun has a bit of foaming, although proper technique minimizes it. The foaming can cause some c02 to come out in the foam, so many people actually turn the carb level up a bit for a few days before bottling from the keg to counteract that.

I never have had any issues with a lower carb level with bottling from the keg, so I haven't upped the carb level and it's worked out great for me.

Back