Question about burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkTrucker

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a 185,000 btu burner would be a good buy? I saw one online for $48 dollars. Its a Bayou Classic. Im just mainly wondering if it would get the job done in a fair amount of time or would I be waiting awhile for it to heat up?

Plenty of heat, but you can get a banjo burner delivered off amazon for $65. For the few extra $$, it's probably a better buy. Also, you can usually find turkey fryer setups like what you're talking about for ~ $30 at Academy or Walmart.

Buy it. From the research I've done sounds like a great deal. If you can get one with a square base the brewpot is more stable. Sounds like a lot of BTU's for the $

Lil' Sparky said:
Plenty of heat, but you can get a banjo burner delivered off amazon for $65. For the few extra $$, it's probably a better buy. Also, you can usually find turkey fryer setups like what you're talking about for ~ $30 at Academy or Walmart.

30$ ? With that many BTUs ? Check out this www.lalagniappe.com/mall/lobbycookerfaq.htm (4th ?) What is your boil volume? Better yet, what do you think your boil volume will be within the next 2-3 years? You may grow into your burner. This is a purchase I've yet to make, but when I do it's going to be with future brews in mind. Good luck on your hunt :mug:

I'd just like to add some perspective to the discussion about BTU's. I use a 55k BTU turkey setup that was $15 from Walmart. I do 10 gallon batches, so typically my boil is 12-13 gallons and the burner handles it in step. Higher is definately better, but if budget is a concern, you don't need 200k BTU's to boil 7 gallons of wort.

:)

I will be doing 10 gallon batches and im new at all grain. I dont want buy a wimpy burner and then later want to upgrade. I would rather just buy a decent one and be done with it.

Pabst Blue Robot said:
I'd just like to add some perspective to the discussion about BTU's. I use a 55k BTU turkey setup that was $15 from Walmart. I do 10 gallon batches, so typically my boil is 12-13 gallons and the burner handles it in step. Higher is definately better, but if budget is a concern, you don't need 200k BTU's to boil 7 gallons of wort.

Thanks man for saving me some $ :mug:

Pabst Blue Robot said:

That's what I was getting at. Those burners are all basically the same, but seem to have different ratings for some reason (I think it has to do w/ the regulator pressure - 10 vs 20 psi). I also have "cheap" burners (and 10 psi reg) but boil 13-14 gals no problem, and I never turn it all the way up. I actually recommended the banjo burner because of its clean low-throttle characteristics as opposed to its kick-a high-btu output. If you want the kind of burner you were asking about, you can get one for much less like PBR said.

More info...

On my 3-tier stand I've got two of these plus the one from my original cheapo turkey fryer. They're exactly the same. Is this the "185K btu" burner you're referring to?

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg10_cast_iron_burner.htm

bcbg10_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

If you're referring to one of these, you don't want it. They're horribly inefficient and eat through propane.

41pOFq4axPL._AA280_.jpg

I bought the $65 one from amazon. I do 10 gal batches and I love this thing. It's got more firepower than I know what to do with, and I get 60-80 gallons of beer out of a 5 gal propane tank. I think it's also a Bayou Classic. Maybe that's just a name brand? Mine doesn't look like the one above...

-p

Pabst Blue Robot said:

I'd love to see a pic of your 55k BTU burner if you would like to post a pic?

I'm using a Camp Chef 60k BTU and it is fabulous!

Thanks!

There are some pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nshort/BrewDay/

The stand is cheap angle iron that I wouldn't trust to hold my big kettle with 15 gallons in it, but it does fine for the 7.5 gallon HLT. I use a big thick steel 9 track tape drive stand to hold me boil kettle and there's a few inches of clearance between the burner and the pot.

trev said:
I'd love to see a pic of your 55k BTU burner if you would like to post a pic?

I'm using a Camp Chef 60k BTU and it is fabulous!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pabst Blue Robot said:
There are some pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nshort/BrewDay/

The stand is cheap angle iron that I wouldn't trust to hold my big kettle with 15 gallons in it, but it does fine for the 7.5 gallon HLT. I use a big thick steel 9 track tape drive stand to hold me boil kettle and there's a few inches of clearance between the burner and the pot.

Checked the pics out and looks great! I learned some things too just from viewing!

Thanks for the post and good luck with your batch! :)

-- Trev

Before you buy anything check out the Kings Kooker 280. Dual rings, high (55,000 BTU) to low for almost any situation and it burns clean, no soot on your stock pot.

Back