question about bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinit

Reaction score
I have been reading the stickies on this subject along with secondary fermenting,and the opinions seem to be split,my question is after fermentation in the primary bucket and 2 weeks to clear i can bottle right? being the sg is stable for 3 days,if I am going to bottle direct from primary do I still rack into a bottling bucket to add and mix the priming sugar?

I'm kinda confused by what you are asking, but I think you want to know about bottling from primary.

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

If I've waited a month for extremely clear beer, why would I then mix it all up again to mix the priming solution in, when I can easily mix it in while I'm also racking off the yeast cake which I patiently waited to drop and tighten?

I'm kinda confused by what you are asking, but I think you want to know about bottling from primary.

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

If I've waited a month for extremely clear beer, why would I then mix it all up again to mix the priming solution in, when I can easily mix it in while I'm also racking off the yeast cake which I patiently waited to drop and tighten?
ok,so once the beer is clear and sits a few weeks,into a bottling bucket with priming sugar and into the bottle....I guess what i read confused me a little about bottling from primary fermentation.thank you

ok,so once the beer is clear and sits a few weeks,into a bottling bucket with priming sugar and into the bottle....I guess what i read confused me a little about bottling from primary fermentation.thank you

That's correct, I was a little confused at first too. One way or another, a bottling bucket will be used:

Primary -> Bottling Bucket
Primary -> Secondary -> Bottling Bucket

What they mean by bottling from primary is skipping the secondary. Straight from the primary to the bottling bucket.

thanx guys just want to make sure i understand to prevent mistakes,its octoberfest and if it tastes as good as it smells rite now I cant wait..I am stoked

Back