Question about bottle carbonation and conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
So I know that the general rule of thumb is 3 weeks @ 70F to carbonate your beer. After that, it's just conditioning. My question is - after the 3 weeks at 70F, is it better for your beer to remain at room temperature for conditioning, or does it condition better in the fridge? I have about 30 bottles left of a Rye Porter that have been in bottle for about 4 weeks now, all of that time spent around 72F. I know with darker, stronger beers like porters, they can taste even better at 8 weeks in bottle than they do now. But to obtain that wonderful taste, should I put the remaining bottles in the fridge for the next four weeks? Or are they better off at room temperature until a week or so until I plan on drinking them, and moving them to the fridge at that point.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind; I did some searching which led me to this well known thread which states:

Temperature also plays a role...The recommendation is to store/age your bottles in a dark place @ around 70 degrees F.

After 3 weeks @ 70 is recommended (though most of us fail at this one-Me included) that you put your beer in the fridge for a full two weeks before drinking....this will help to make you beer crystal clear and tasty.....
At least new brewer, let them chill in the fridge for 48 hours before you knock them back."

So it sounds like letting the bottles age at ~70F after carbing is complete is fine as long as they get a week or two in the fridge before drinking?

Latest posts

Back