Question about boil size and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Reaction score
Really new to homebrewing (I'm getting ready to brew my second batch) and I have a question on the relationship between boil size and hops bittering.

Why does a smaller boil size mean less bittering?

I can only get around 2 gallons to come to a boil on my stove top. So it looks like I will have to up the hops a lot to get my target IBU. Currently Beersmith says I'll need 6oz of hop pellets to get an IBU of 25 with a 60 minute boil.

Philistine said:
Really new to homebrewing (I'm getting ready to brew my second batch) and I have a question on the relationship between boil size and hops bittering.

Why does a smaller boil size mean less bittering?

I can only get around 2 gallons to come to a boil on my stove top. So it looks like I will have to up the hops a lot to get my target IBU. Currently Beersmith says I'll need 6oz of hop pellets to get an IBU of 25 with a 60 minute boil.

Im not terribly experienced myself, and have only been doing dull boils, but 6oz seems like a lot! What type of hops are you putting into the recipe? Different hops will contribute more (or less) to your IBUs than others. Perhaps that's part of the problem?

You could also try adding less extract at the start of the recipe. You'll get better use of your hops by adding most of your extract in the last 15 minutes,mor even at flameout, specially with a 2 gallon boil.

You could also try adding less extract at the start of the recipe. You'll get better use of your hops by adding most of your extract in the last 15 minutes,mor even at flameout, specially with a 2 gallon boil.

This appears to have worked. I changed it to 1/3 of the extract for 60 minutes and the other 2/3 for 15 minutes. Beersmith now recommends 2.5 oz of hops.

Looks like the pre-boil gravity has a lot to do with hop bittering. Still wondering why?

It makes some sense to me. The water can only hold so much stuff before becoming "saturated". If it is full of sugars, it won't accept hop oils. If there isn't much water, the same. I think of it as trying to dissolve salt or sugar in water, it can only take so much.

The main reason is the top up water that dilutes the wort. 100 ibus is roughly the max that can be absorbed into solution, so 2.5 gals of 100 IBU wort is only 50 max Ibus if topped up to 5 gals.

2.5oz is still an awful lot of hops to bitter with. I get more IBU's with .3oz bittering a a few ounces for flavor additions. I do 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon kettle on my electric stove. Look in my profile for a link to amazon & better burners.

I will be getting a floor burner (maybe in a paycheck or two). My stove just doesn't cut it. I have a 20 quart pot and tried boiling 3 gallons once. After an hour on high it just broke 180F. Even with only 2 gallons of water after an hour I just barely reach a small boil. I get a better boil if I leave the lid on but I've heard you shouldn't cover the pot while boiling the extract.

I do cover while heating to boiling, but you have to watch really carefully for boil-overs. A newer stove will do better, mine will boil four gallons in under a half hour.
But I'm not recommending that you buy a stove just for brewing.... ;)

I will be getting a floor burner (maybe in a paycheck or two). My stove just doesn't cut it. I have a 20 quart pot and tried boiling 3 gallons once. After an hour on high it just broke 180F. Even with only 2 gallons of water after an hour I just barely reach a small boil. I get a better boil if I leave the lid on but I've heard you shouldn't cover the pot while boiling the extract.

I don't know if they still have it, but check out 'Bass Pro Shop' for their turkey fryer
30qt. kettle plus propane burner for around $50plus shipping.I got one last month and have used it twice now. VERY nice. I had been doing 3 gallon partial boils on the stove for the previous 18 months, and can now do full volume boils outside. (and I'm not getting the complaints from SWMBO about "that malt smell").

The aftermarket electric burners I got on amazon will go from mash temp to boiling in about 18 minutes. Link in my profile. It's like hotrodding your stove.:rockin:

Back