Question about amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgt2000

Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice about my 3rd batch, which I pitched on the 26th of March, so two and a half weeks ago. I've been busy so its been sitting in the primary for the whole time, and I'm thinking that maybe it might be a good idea just to leave it in there for 3-4 more days and go straight to bottle, instead of going into a secondary.

The reason for this is that it looks a lot more like a dark red than an amber. When I was boiling, the temperature was high, and I added the DME too quickly. As a result, it clumped up into a huge ball which took about 30 minutes boiling and stirring to dissolve....this probably resulted in the beer being much darker than I expected...also, some of it caramalized (sp?) and was left behind in the brew pot.

So I guess to summarize:

1) Should I just bottle after three total weeks in primary since it is so dark anyway and clearing won't be a big issue? and

2) What is/are the results of the DME caramelizing like that in the boil? How will the taste be affected?

Thanks!

You can definatly go right to the bottle, but it will most likley be a lot lighter in a glass then in the carboy too, after bottling. I would take a sample off and see what it looks/taste like. The carmilization of the DME, as to the effect on flavor, depends on how bad it got burnt. If it burnt pretty badly to the bottom of the pot then it could give a burnt toasted type flavor, but if it wasn't that bad I would say that it will be fine.

cheers

I don't usually get off flavors from the little bit of carmelization that typically occurs when I use large amounts of DME.

As for going straight to bottle, that's what I would do unless the beer looks like it needs more time to clear.

Thanks for the responses guys. I tried a sample of this beer last night, and it tastes and looks good even uncarbonated. Looks like its going into bottles tonight!

Back