Queensland Native Bee Mead Attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane'0 EM

Reaction score
Hi all,
So i decided that because my last mead turned out pretty bloody good, i would take a punt at making a mead with my native bee honey. Hopefully the distinct taste shines through in the final product. Its a very dark honey from one of the hives and doesn't look overly appertising but it will be very interesting to see how or if the colour changes during the process. As it was straight from the hive i boiled it to remove any remaining propolis and found that once i skimmed the top, the musk looked awesome. Only a small 5lt batch as i was only able to harvest 1200ml of raw honey. Fingers crossed for a beautiful mead.

Attachments

• Boiling.jpg
    Boiling.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • cooling.jpg
    cooling.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Native honey.jpg
    Native honey.jpg
    818.5 KB · Views: 10
Hi Shane,
I am thinking about doing a harvest this year on my TC hives. How did your mead turn out?
I have all the gear to do beer but no experience. Is it worth using my precious sting less honey?
Cheers,
Cbear.

Hi Shane'0 EM and welcome. You say you boiled the honey to remove stuff from the hive but if you boil the honey is it still raw? Won't you have killed any of the yeast and other bacteria that are in the honey?

Latest posts

Back