Quadrupled the amount of sugar... pitch scoby or start over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerekDH

Reaction score
Hey all I'm making my first batch of booch, I misread a recipe and now have 1 gallon of freaky sweet green tea (4 cups of sugar and 12 bags of green) should/could I still pitch my scoby or is this level of sweetness toxic to my scoby? Will it take forever to ferment? Other than being very sweet and fattening, how might the flavor be affected?

Ferment it out and see what you think. Likely take a while to finish up. Let it sit for a month after you think it has finished.

Too much sugar and tea will cause rapid yeast growth that the scoby bacteria have trouble keeping up with causing a very yeasty tasting batch. Keep the temperature down at about 21 or 22 celsius as it ferments to help the bacteria keep up with the yeast. It will take longer likely but it should help. Alternatively, Tea and sugar is cheap, you can draw some potent mix off and add a weak tea without sugar to reduce the sugar ratio.

Back